Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My Dear Children

For the last two nights, my dear children went to stay with their grandparents, who live about 40 minutes away. While they were gone, they were taken to “Winter Wonderland.” This is a very childish display of various Christmas themes … a big gingerbread house, a few displays of various countries and the way they celebrate Christmas. There are many life size figurines/paper mache models that move. Santa Claus is there. It is really cheesy and stupid, but small children enjoy it. We took our kids when they were 1, 3, and 5 and they hadn’t been back since. My oldest son, Elliot, who will soon be 10, REALLY wanted to go. (He had a fond memory of it, I guess.)

When we picked them up from Grandma and Grandpa’s today … on the ride home, we got an earful and I want to share some of it with you!

My 5 year old, Simon, said that there was a fat stupid idiot inside of a pretend building.
Charlotte, the 7 year old, said that the whole thing was very “baby-ish.”

Then we started talking about Santa Claus. We don’t tell our kids that Santa Claus is real. We never have because of a matter of parental conscience and truth. My husband was telling the kids about “Nicholas” and where the legend came from. The kids themselves were discussing it in the back seat. My daughter said, “Santa Claus is magic.” Elliot then corrected her and said, “No, his power is witchcraft.” (jaw drop) John was questioning our son on this concept of “witchcraft,” trying to hear more of his reasoning. Elliot said that in the legend, Santa can fly and witches fly on broomsticks, so Santa must be using witchcraft. John then asked him if Superman uses witchcraft to fly. “Of course not, he’s a super hero.” And that was that.

Simon then mentioned the big fat idiot at the Winter Wonderland again. Elliot made sure to tell him that it was just a guy dressed up in a red suit. My husband piped in and said that it was a guy doing a job … that was how he was making money to buy some things for his family. John then challenged Simon: “What if I had to dress up in a red suit, would I be a fat, stupid idiot?” Simon replied, “No, you’re not fat.”

The oldest then segued into a tearful expression of disappointment over all the kids at his school. “They are all worried about Santa Claus and what presents they’re going to get. They don’t even think about Jesus and all that He has done for us.”

We parents had gone from laughing to crying all within 5 minutes. Dear children have that effect.

the END

17 Comments:

  • My four yr old came came up to me today and asked, 'Who is this from?'

    She was helping her 15 yr old sister wrap a present. I thought about it and replied 'Santa.'

    She said 'Mom!'

    I was busy, so I said, 'Mom and Dad.'

    She said 'Mom!'

    I said, 'OK... Mom.'

    Finally getting the answer she knew was accurate she went back to her task.

    Kids today, they're so no nonsense!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/20/2005 10:56 PM  

  • Sounds a bit like the Blogsphere?

    Are we there yet?

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 12/20/2005 10:58 PM  

  • Rose~, I am glad you do not tell your children that Santa is real.

    My parents did and I do not think it was very helpful.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 12/21/2005 3:33 AM  

  • Rose, we have told our children Santa isn't real too. When people ask them what they want Santa to bring them they answer nothing but they are hoping to get - insert present here - from Dad and Mom. You never said in your post what your children are telling their lost classmates about the real reason we have Christmas.

    Merry Christmas!

    By Blogger mas, at 12/21/2005 9:21 AM  

  • Hi Rose,

    Great post! I just read it and the comments to Elliot.

    Hi MAS,
    Elliot wants me to "...be sure to tell you that it is when we celebrate God becoming a man, Jesus! It's about giving not getting."

    Merry Christmas,
    brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 12/21/2005 11:50 AM  

  • Excellent answer, young Master Cole! I haven't done a good job this year in emphasizing that to my family. We are going out of town to celebrate it amongst a completely unsaved crowd. I'm going to bake Jesus a birthday cake which I have never done and once again make an attempt in getting any of them to join us for church Sunday morning.

    By Blogger mas, at 12/21/2005 12:22 PM  

  • As a child, I never believed in Santa, but my wife did. Her whole family thinks it is the most evil thing in the world that my children haven't been lied to about Santa.

    Up is down I guess.

    By Blogger Daniel, at 12/21/2005 12:30 PM  

  • HK,
    What a wide spread in ages of those children!
    You sound like I do sometimes. Just give an answer when I'm busy to get them on their way. That is a bad habit.

    bhedr,
    Funny! Laughing to crying ...

    Matthew,
    I do not! I want them to believe in that which they cannot see. (THE LORD) If I "fib" to them about Santa Claus which they cannot see, why should they think that God is not also a "fib."
    That is our take on it. I'm so glad that John and I have always agreed on this. It causes problems with cousins and schoolmates, but this is alright.

    mas,
    It sounds like your approach is similar. Merry Christmas!

    Hi John!
    ----------------------------------

    I know Christians that tell their kids Santa Claus is real and they play along with the whole story. I don't get it, but ... these parents have that liberty as we have the liberty to do it our way!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 12/21/2005 12:36 PM  

  • Daniel,
    Our family chastises us over our "no fun" approach too. How can we rob our children of the "wonder" and the "fantasy" of it? We have good reason.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 12/21/2005 12:41 PM  

  • Hi Rose~
    your comment about liberty is a good illustration of the practical application, of ISL that I did a post about.

    Our “good reason” is we want to let them know the true wonder and awe of our jealous God who will not share His glory with anything or anyone real or imagined… not that there is anything wrong with imagination (esp. Superman, Barney, and stories about a land beyond a lamp stand, or yonder wicket gate).

    brother John~

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 12/21/2005 12:59 PM  

  • Hi Jessica Jo!
    That is a really neat association your daughter has that is related to a fairy tale. What a great way top teach her using a story that you know she is sure to hear over and again. Thanks for sharing!

    Hi John!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 12/21/2005 4:39 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    I didn't grow up in a Christian home, so we believed in that sort of thing when we grew up. Your story reminds me of when I first found out there was no such thing as the Easter bunny.

    I got this basket of easter eggs, see, and I really thought it through. "Heeey, wait a minute!" I said to myself. "Rabbits don't lay eggs!"

    That was a breakthrough moment. As a result, I haven't believed in the Easter bunny for nearly ten years ]:o)

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 12/21/2005 6:32 PM  

  • Funny Loren!

    Yeah Merry Christmas Rose and everybody.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 12/21/2005 6:37 PM  

  • Hi Cleopas,
    Does this make you about 18 now?
    Maybe I will do a post on how I found out there was no Santa Claus - my family earnestly tried to convince me that there was such a thing ... it was very ugly for me when the truth came out.

    Hey Brian!
    You have a profile pic! How beautiful! I read your post to your son and was touched. That is a very sweet photo. Merry Christmas.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 12/21/2005 6:40 PM  

  • Rose,

    Why do you ask? Are you trying to imply something? ;o)

    By the way, when we found out there was no such thing as the easter bunny, easter baskets stopped coming! So we made reeeeal sure we believed in Santa Claus for a long, long time!

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 12/21/2005 10:32 PM  

  • Hi Rose~
    Your readership is delightful as always. You truley have a gift for drawing out the best of them. I supose it's because you see the best in them.

    Hi Cleopas,
    youngsters such as yourself reeeealy make my day...

    Merry Christmas,
    brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 12/22/2005 10:30 AM  

  • Thanks Rose you are very kind. Again have a Merry Christmas.

    Looking to the day where we can celebrate Eternal Blismas with the the true Christ and Eternal Father and by the strength of His Holy Spirit by which we are baptised into Himself as his glorious bride.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 12/22/2005 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here