Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Friday, April 21, 2006

What's FAITH? (part 1)

Below is a very long sermon by Spurgeon. I really love this sermon. My friend, bluecollar, posted it weeks ago and I still can't get it out of my head. It is so very wonderful and creative the way Spurgeon has explained faith. I was reading elsewhere last week and the blogger entitled his post ARE YOU SURE YOU LIKE SPURGEON? ( <-- click to see) He went on to post many of Spurgeon's ideas on Calvinism. Yes, these are things I don't really appreciate, being a "non-Calvinist." I had to wonder, though, on that writer's intentions - why would a Christian want to keep another Christian from liking a third Christian? What is the point of that?

I like Calvinists ... and I certainly like and appreciate Spurgeon. If I had to say that I didn't like another Christian just because they express some non-essential doctrine that I don't like or that I don't see the way they do, then I would have to leave my church! That is just silly.

Anyway, below is a great sermon by the (sometimes rejected by Calvinists and sometimes rejected by non-Calvinists) Spurgeon. It is long, but I entreat you to read it. On the subject of faith, which has generated so much discussion as to where it comes from, what it is, (is it a gift? is it some mystical vision or view into truth? does it follow the new birth? etc...) this just made such good sense to me! I'm sorry to say, I gave the article to a friend [:~)] ... and my brother, and neither thought this description of faith was good enough. It was just too simple. I have yet to hear back from my pastor about his thoughts on this sermon.

Faith Very Simple - Spurgeon
TO MANY, FAITH SEEMS a hard thing. The truth is, it is only hard because it is easy. Naaman thought it hard that he should have to wash in Jordan; but if it had been some great thing, he would have done it right cheerfully. People think that salvation must be the result of some act or feeling, very mysterious, and very difficult; but God's thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are his ways our ways. In order that the feeblest and the most ignorant may be saved, he has made the way of salvation as easy as the A, B, C. There is nothing about it to puzzle anyone; only, as everybody expects to be puzzled by it, many are quite bewildered when they find it to be so exceedingly simple. The fact is, we do not believe that God means what he is saying; we act as if it could not be true.

I have heard of a Sunday-school teacher who performed an experiment which I do not think I shall ever try with children, for it might turn out to be a very expensive one. Indeed, I feel sure that the result in my case would be very different from what I now describe. This teacher had been trying to illustrate what faith was, and, as he could not get it into the minds of his boys, he took his watch, and he said, "Now, I will give you this watch, John. Will you have it?" John fell thinking what the teacher could mean, and did not seize the treasure, but made no answer. The teacher said to the next boy, "Henry, here is the watch. Will you have it?" The boy, with a very proper modesty, replied, "No, thank you, sir." The teacher tried several of the boys with the same result; till at last a youngster, who was not so wise or so thoughtful as the others, but rather more believing, said in the most natural way, "Thank you, sir," and put the watch into his pocket. Then the other boys woke up to a startling fact: their companion had received a watch which they had refused. One of the boys quickly asked of the teacher, "Is he to keep it?" "Of course he is," said the teacher, "I offered it to him, and he accepted it. I would not give a thing and take a thing: that would be very foolish. I put the watch before you, and said that I gave it to you, but none of you would have it." "Oh!" said the boy, "if I had known you meant it, I would have had it." Of course he would. He thought it was a piece of acting, and nothing more. All the other boys were in a dreadful state of mind to think that they had lost the watch. Each one cried, "Teacher, I did not know you meant it, but I thought—"No one took the gift; but every one thought. Each one had his theory, except the simple-minded boy who believed what he was told, and got the watch.

Now I wish that I could always be such a simple child as literally to believe what the Lord says, and take what he puts before me, resting quite content that he is not playing with me, and that I cannot be wrong in accepting what he sets before me in the gospel. Happy should we be if we would trust, and raise no questions of any sorts. But, alas! we will get thinking and doubting. When the Lord uplifts his dear Son before a sinner, that sinner should take him without hesitation. If you take him, you have him; and none can take him from you. Out with your hand, man, and take him at once!When inquirers accept the Bible as literally true, and see that Jesus is really given to all who trust him, all the difficulty about understanding the way of salvation vanishes like the morning's frost at the rising of the sun.

Two inquiring ones came to me in my vestry. They had been hearing the gospel from me for only a short season, but they had been deeply impressed by it. They expressed their regret that they were about to remove far away, but they added their gratitude that they had heard me at all. I was cheered by their kind thanks, but felt anxious that a more effectual work should be wrought in them, and therefore I asked them, "Have you in very deed believed in the Lord Jesus Christ? Are you saved?" One of them replied, "I have been trying hard to believe." This statement I have often heard, but I will never let it go by me unchallenged. "No," I said, "that will not do. Did you ever tell your father that you tried to believe him?" After I had dwelt a while upon the matter, they admitted that such language would have been an insult to their father. I then set the gospel very plainly before them in as simple language as I could, and I begged them to believe Jesus, who is more worthy of faith than the best of fathers. One of them replied, "I cannot realize it: I cannot realize that I am saved." Then I went on to say, "God bears testimony to his Son, that whosoever trusts in his Son is saved. Will you make him a liar now, or will you believe his word?" While I thus spoke, one of them started as if astonished, and she startled us all as she cried, "O sir, I see it all; I am saved! Oh, do bless Jesus for me; he has shown me the way, and he has saved me! I see it all." The esteemed sister who had brought these young friends to me knelt down with them while, with all our hearts, we blessed and magnified the Lord for a soul brought into light. One of the two sisters, however, could not see the gospel as the other had done, though I feel sure she will do so before long. Did it not seem strange that, both hearing the same words, one should come out into clear light, and the other should remain in the gloom? The change which comes over the heart when the understanding grasps the gospel is often reflected in the face, and shines there like the light of heaven. Such newly enlightened souls often exclaim, "Why, sir, it is so plain; how is it I have not seen it before this? I understand all I have read in the Bible now, though I could not make it out before. It has all come in a minute, and now I see what I could never understand before." The fact is, the truth was always plain, but they were looking for signs and wonders, and therefore did not see what was nigh them.

Old men often look for their spectacles when they are on their foreheads; and it is commonly observed that we fail to see that which is straight before us. Christ Jesus is before our faces, and we have only to look to him, and live; but we make all manner of bewilderment of it, and so manufacture a maze out of that which is plain as a pikestaff.The little incident about the two sisters reminds me of another. A much-esteemed friend came to me one Sabbath morning after service, to shake hands with me, "for," said she, "I was fifty years old on the same day as yourself. I am like you in that one thing, sir; but I am the very reverse of you in better things." I remarked, "Then you must be a very good woman; for in many things I wish I also could be the reverse of what I am." "No, no," she said, "I did not mean anything of that sort: I am not right at all." "What!" I cried, "are you not a believer in the Lord Jesus?" "Well," she said, with much emotion, "I, I will try to be." I laid hold of her hand, and said, "My dear soul, you are not going to tell me that you will try to believe my Lord Jesus! I cannot have such talk from you. It means blank unbelief. What has HE done that you should talk of him in that way? Would you tell me that you would try to believe me? I know you would not treat me so rudely. You think me a true man, and so you believe me at once; and surely you cannot do less with my Lord Jesus? Then with tears she exclaimed, "Oh, sir, do pray for me!" To this I replied, "I do not feel that I can do anything of the kind. What can I ask the Lord Jesus to do for one who will not trust him? I see nothing to pray about. If you will believe him, you shall be saved; and if you will not believe him, I cannot ask him to invent a new way to gratify your unbelief." Then she said again, "I will try to believe"; but I told her solemnly I would have none of her trying; for the message from the Lord did not mention "trying," but said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." I pressed upon her the great truth, that "He that believeth on him hath everlasting life"; and its terrible reverse—"He that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God." I urged her to full faith in the once crucified but now ascended Lord, and the Holy Spirit there and then enabled her to trust. She most tenderly said, "Oh, sir, I have been looking to my feelings, and this has been my mistake! Now I trust my soul with Jesus, and I am saved." She found immediate peace through believing. There is no other way.

God has been pleased to make the necessities of life very simple matters. We must eat; and even a blind man can find the way to his mouth. We must drink; and even the tiniest babe knows how to do this without instruction. We have a fountain in the grounds of the Stockwell Orphanage, and when it is running in the hot weather, the boys go to it naturally. We have no class for fountain-drill. Many poor boys have come to the Orphanage, but never one who was so ignorant that he did not know how to drink. Now faith is, in spiritual things, what eating and drinking are in temporal things. By the mouth of faith we take the blessings of grace into our spiritual nature, and they are ours. O you who would believe, but think you cannot, do you not see that, as one can drink without strength, and as one can eat without strength, and gets strength by eating, so we may receive Jesus without effort, and by accepting him we receive power for all such further effort as we may be called to put forth?

Faith is so simple a matter that, whenever I try to explain it, I am very fearful lest I should becloud its simplicity. When Thomas Scott had printed his notes upon "The Pilgrim's Progress," he asked one of his parishioners whether she understood the book. "Oh yes, sir," said she, "I understand Mr. Bunyan well enough, and I am hoping that one day, by divine grace, I may understand your explanations." Should I not feel mortified if my reader should know what faith is, and then get confused by my explanation? I will, however, make one trial, and pray the Lord to make it clear.

I am told that on a certain highland road there was a disputed right of way. The owner wished to preserve his supremacy, and at the same time he did not wish to inconvenience the public: hence an arrangement which occasioned the following incident. Seeing a sweet country girl standing at the gate, a tourist went up to her, and offered her a shilling to permit him to pass. "No, no," said the child, "I must not take anything from you; but you are to say, 'Please allow me to pass,' and then you may come through and welcome." The permission was to be asked for; but it could be had for the asking. Just so, eternal life is free; and it can be had, yea, it shall be at once had, by trusting in the word of him who cannot lie. Trust Christ, and by that trust you grasp salvation and eternal life. Do not philosophize. Do not sit down, and bother your poor brain. Just believe Jesus as you would believe your father. Trust him as you trust your money with a banker, or your health with a doctor.Faith will not long seem a difficulty to you; nor ought it to be so, for it is simple.

Faith is trusting, trusting wholly upon the person, work, merit, and power of the Son of God. Some think this trusting is a romantic business, but indeed it is the simplest thing that can possibly be. To some of us, truths which were once hard to believe are now matters of fact which we should find it hard to doubt. If one of our great grandfathers were to rise from the dead, and come into the present state of things, what a deal of trusting he would have to do! He would say tomorrow morning, "Where are the flint and steel? I want a light;" and we should give him a little box with tiny pieces of wood in it, and tell him to strike one of them on the box. He would have to trust a good deal before he would believe that fire would thus be produced. We should next say to him, "Now that you have a light, turn that tap, and light the gas." He sees nothing. How can light come through an invisible vapor? And yet it does. "Come with us, grandfather. Sit in that chair. Look at that box in front of you. You shall have your likeness directly." "No, child," he would say, "it is ridiculous. The sun take my portrait? I cannot believe it." "Yes, and you shall ride fifty miles in an hour without horses." He will not believe it till we get him into the train. "My dear sir, you shall speak to your son in New York, and he shall answer you in a few minutes." Should we not astonish the old gentleman? Would he not want all his faith? Yet these things are believed by us without effort, because experience has made us familiar with them. Faith is greatly needed by you who are strangers to spiritual things; you seem lost while we are talking about them. But oh, how simple it is to us who have the new life, and have communion with spiritual realities! We have a Father to whom we speak, and he hears us, and a blessed Savior who hears our heart's longings, and helps us in our struggles against sin. It is all plain to him that understandeth. May it now be plain to you!

48 Comments:

  • Hi SISTER Rose!

    You say: "I like Calvinists ... and I certainly like and appreciate Spurgeon."

    Well, this Calvinist likes and appreciates you too!

    Spurgeon was a Calvinist, so he, like all others, will speak up on the merits of his system. I am sure, however, that he would be appalled at how some use his sermons as a weapon to cause division in the body of Christ.

    Spurgeon loved D.L.Moody and invited him to speak at the Metropolitan Tabernacle. He and Moody had a very deep appreciation for one another. And, guess what, Moody was no Calvinist!

    Some will use Spurgeon to divide. I will use him to unite!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 4/21/2006 12:44 PM  

  • Thanks, Mark.
    You're a great brother!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/21/2006 12:57 PM  

  • I cannot say in all honesty that I like Spurgeon. I sometimes enjoy reading his works and I am currently reading 'Lectures to my Students.' However, I find his theology and hos weak exegesis really irritating.

    I dislike the adoration that gets heaped on Spurgeon.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 4/21/2006 1:48 PM  

  • Hi Rose~

    Simple faith, the way a child would understand it. How can anyone argue with that?

    Like, “Old men often look for their spectacles when they are on their foreheads; and it is commonly observed that we fail to see that which is straight before us.” I think perhaps Jim and Pat, just can’t stand the fact that you are older (in Christ), wiser, and much more mature in your walk than they would ever give you credit for (I mean give God the glory for) that, combined with the fact that you are a woman has closed their minds to anything you would offer. I think.

    Good post Rose,
    brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 4/21/2006 4:56 PM  

  • I said it once at Mark's place and I'll say it again, "Great message!" ;-)

    By Blogger Kc, at 4/21/2006 6:06 PM  

  • Interesting Matthew. I like to read spurgeon, just like I like to Read Tozer and Piper and other.

    He's very devotional in his thinking. I think evangelicals would learn to be more like that. I have missed that in some people as it seems people just tend to focus on having the right academic answers to all things rather than to see the vast riches of God's mercy.

    Our tendency is to be more academic in our thinking rather than a life of devotion to God and seeing and delighting in the greatness of God in multiple ways

    By Blogger Shawn, at 4/21/2006 6:10 PM  

  • bluecollar,

    Have you ever read the "forgotten spurgeon"? Good book I read a bit ago.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 4/21/2006 6:39 PM  

  • Hi Rose,
    I'm speechless. What a wonderful sermon. There is no hint of Calvinism in it to me. If he was a Calvinist then luckily he did not let it get in the way during this wonderful message. He illustrated faith very well. As a twenty year old I would have been tongue tied as well. I knew faith was something I needed and that I did not have it, and that after a lifetime of going to church. And I took no action to do anything about it until I was 35 years old.
    Spurgeon couldn't have put it simpler. Could that sermon have come out of a Calvinist or was Spurgeon really a follower of Calvin's theology at heart? I have to wonder. Calvin's conclusions, even with his strong measure of faithfulness, place him wide open to controversy as a speculator and a willful divider and I make no apologies for finding fault with them.

    Heartily with you all in Christ.
    Todd

    By Blogger Todd Saunders, at 4/21/2006 8:51 PM  

  • Todd,

    Historic calvinism is much richer than the modern evangelical calvinist, I've found as well. Historic calvinism has good biblical depth.


    Rose/bluecollar,

    Here's a great quote I read today from Spurgeon...

    "The Lord when he means to save sinners, does not stop to ask them whether they mean to be saved, but like a rushing mighty wind the divine influence sweeps away every obstacle; the unwilling heart bends before the potent gale of grace, adn sinners that would not yield are made to yield by God. I know this, if the Lord willed it, there is no man so desperately wicked here this morning that he would not be made now to seek for mercy, however infidel he might be; however rooted in his prejudices against the gospel, Joehovaah hath but to will it, and it is done. Into they dark heart, O thou who hast never seen the light, would the light scream; if he did but say, "Let there be light" there would be light. Thou mayest bend thy fist and lift up thy mouth against Jehovah; but he is thy master yet - thy master to destroy thee if thou goest on in thy wickedness; but thy master to save thee now, to change thy heart and turn thy will as he turneth the rivers of water."

    By Blogger Shawn, at 4/21/2006 9:59 PM  

  • ^
    |
    |

    When I read that today it made me remember to pray and trust that God can convert even those who tend to show the hardest of hearts.

    May God help us continue to pray for our muslim missionaries and others who outwardly or inwardly have such a hard heart toward God.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 4/21/2006 10:06 PM  

  • DF,
    You are so honest. Just so you know - I don't adore the man, but I think he was very gifted. ... and I really like this sermon!

    J. Wendell,
    I hope that if Jim reads your comment (I know Pat doesn't read here) that he will take it in the friendly way you mean it. I do appreciate what you say. I love those brothers, both of them.

    kc,
    We agree!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/21/2006 10:24 PM  

  • Shawn,
    Good to see you!
    ...the vast riches of God's mercy.
    What a good and perfect thing to think on, Shawn. If we don't have some answers to things, we might not understand those vast riches, and so in that way, academics can be good and are very helpful, don't you think?
    Your Spurgeon quote is one that I think Steve Camp would appreciate. ;~)
    I found a quote that I am going to post sometime by Spurgeon that is not of my persuasion, but I appreciated it anyway - maybe I will post it soon - in the next week. It made me smile and harumph - all at the same time - quite unusual.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/21/2006 10:30 PM  

  • Hi Todd,
    It is a wonderful sermon. 35 huh? That is wonderful that you came to know the Lord when you did. There are plenty of quotes that attest to the fact that Spurgeon believed the C. doctrine, at some or all points in his ministry, but then there are quotes and sermons like these that present the other side of the coin. That is what I like about Spurgeon. He saw two sides of this thing ... at least some of the time.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/21/2006 10:57 PM  

  • Rose,

    Academics is good, I'm not against it. I think I stated that wrong. Sometimes there is a staleness or just a matter of fact to modern evangelicalism that too me misses the devotional life and pondering ways of historic believers. They probably used much of their free time thinking on these things rather than watching entertainment, etc, they were thinking on heavenly things continually in ways that they could see God's grace in everyday life as well.

    The quote I wrote more made me think about those who are hardened to the gospel more than anything...I wasn't posting it for Steve ;-), but yes. I'm reading a book called "the forgotten spurgeon" and the first thing I thought of was my missionary friends doing some stuff missionary work. We need to pray for them!!! amen

    By Blogger Shawn, at 4/21/2006 11:06 PM  

  • Hi Rose~
    The idea I had in mind was that there is value in the ministry of the Holy Spirit working through women, as well as through men. For example, compare a closed mind toward a woman with what you find you find in this Scripture:

    This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
    And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly. (Acts 18:25-26)


    I think it is beautiful when the body of Christ works together in harmony.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 4/21/2006 11:22 PM  

  • Great Post, Rose :)

    Excellent thinking about a simple thing--faith :)

    Hey, my email is acting up and won't send anything :( :(

    God bless,

    Jodie

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/22/2006 12:14 PM  

  • Hi Rose~ ;~)

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 4/22/2006 2:03 PM  

  • Hey Rose! Hey John!

    What a blessed message. I don't think Piper, Tozer or MacArthur would agree with this one if they are to be consistent with their Lordship theology. I wish I could unite but I am finding that I can only unite around those who trust in the promise of God alone. Be they Arminian or Calvinist.

    I understand Spurgeon was labeled as an illogical Calvinist. Who gave him that label? To those of you who read Spurgeon. Keep reading until you discover what he discovered. It is hard to understand why he embraced the simplicity of the gospel message that Piper makes complex, but if you keep reading you will see.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 4/22/2006 3:34 PM  

  • Just a thought I shared with John. Joseph spoke harshly with his brethren and then went into another room and wept. Lutzer was speaking on this earlier this week(thanks btw Jodie for you email and your experience in knowing him) and said we can see a reflection of the heart of God here. I have often thought on this thought, but now instead of struggling to believe it is true...I believe it!

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 4/22/2006 3:43 PM  

  • I don't recognize "... good enough[]" as my reaction.

    By-the-way, the elipses indicate omitted content, the brackets indicate an omitted period.

    By-the-by-the way, my use of punctuation is, again, for the sake of propriety. "Courtesy" may be apropos here, but I've no interest in developing bad writing habits.

    I've reprinted the sermon and plan to re-read it and, probably, comment (for the first time, to my recollection) regarding it. I do recall being surprised that such was authored by Spurgeon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/22/2006 7:02 PM  

  • Although I will take into consideration what you say about the Body of Christ Acquila, and thank you to Priscilla. Keep on Brother and Sister so that the way of God will indeed be known in truth.

    Some of you others? Listen up. I know it is hard on the ego, but listen up.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 4/22/2006 7:39 PM  

  • "Old men often look for their spectacles when they are on their foreheads"

    This is the only part of the sermon to which I took offense.

    By Blogger Joe, at 4/22/2006 9:12 PM  

  • Joe: "This is the only part of the sermon to which I took offense."

    LOL

    By Blogger Dawn, at 4/23/2006 8:25 AM  

  • Thanks Rose for that sermon. Sometimes Spurgeon speaks right to my heart, sometimes he's over my head, sometimes I'm not sure I agree with him, but I am always left with the feeling that He truly had a wonderful, simple, trusting relationship with His God.

    Praise God that faith is simple, easy - it is our intellect, self-will, pride, and works mentality that makes it hard.
    I guess that's why Jesus said we had to come as little children.
    Can you imagine your child having to 'reason out', read everything you write, debate everything you do, to determine whether or not you love them, how you love them, did you love them before they were conceived, did you love them when you said "no" to them....

    My kids love me because they know I love them. They are always welcome, always can phone, can ask me for anything. I might not give it to them, I might not be 'used' by them for their own selfish ends, but they still know I love them.
    So also I can trust God and believe Him. I am just a child of my Father and simply know He loves me, is glad when I talk to Him, listens to my every request and sometimes gives to me and sometimes knows it isn't the best for me.
    It's always my intellect that gets in the way of my faith.

    His beloved child,
    Eunice

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/23/2006 10:50 AM  

  • Sorry Rose but after I posted I remembered this story.
    Our last anniversary my husband gave me a beautiful card with such beautiful sentiments. I blurted out "Oh, if I really knew it was true".
    Immediately I said "but I do!"
    He spends ages choosing exactly the right card - they have to say what he means.

    God spent thousands of years saying the words He means.
    "Oh, it is true"

    Eunice

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/23/2006 10:57 AM  

  • Hi Rose!

    Great post!

    I'm with Jodie-Even my new email has died now. I am now condemed to a life of blogger isolation. Woe is me! Oh, the silence!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 4/23/2006 1:04 PM  

  • Oh Amen Eunice!

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 4/23/2006 2:25 PM  

  • Hi Shawn,
    Amen - I know it is good to ponder the goodenss of God.

    John,
    I am glad you realize this and, although I am not as spiritual a woman as I would like to be, Priscilla is sure someone for a woman to model herself after.
    I agree about the beauty of the fellowship.

    Hi Huck,
    I got your eamil! I agree - faith is very simple - it is not some great committment or some mystical insight - it is just "knowing something that you can't prove."
    (that is what I have always called it)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/23/2006 2:57 PM  

  • Hi Brian,
    I think you must be right about the LS people probably wouldn't agree with it. "Illogical Calvinist"? - That is interesting - I had never heard it before.
    I also like the thought of God weeping after He delivers a harsh word in much the same way Joseph did. That makes perfect sense to infer that it was an insight into the character of God - since Joseph is about the best "type of Christ" we have in the Word of God.

    Hi Jim McDermott!
    I know that you and Pat both expressed thoughts that the sermon was unsatisfactory. I am glad you will read it again. It was a blessing. I need a lesson in advanced punctuation, I think! Oh, I just re-read that and I think I get what you are trying to say. You have a code!
    I am glad you read and comment here, my friend! (... and I am glad that you use your real name - unlike others I know have, in the past ;~) ... )

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/23/2006 3:04 PM  

  • Joe,
    LOL! You are funny. Thanks for participating here. What a blessing!

    Hi Dawn!
    He is a funny guy.

    Eunice,
    Hi there. Thanks for coming back again. (I saw you here once before.) I really like the way you used the illustration of yourself and your children. That is just perfect.
    This was a gem:

    God spent thousands of years saying the words He means.
    "Oh, it is true"

    Thanks, Eunice. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/23/2006 3:08 PM  

  • Bluecollar,
    I am sorry about your email, brother. Make some phone calls, maybe. That is the only way I ever fixed mine. God bless.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/23/2006 3:09 PM  

  • Rose~, you suggest that Joseph is the best type of Christ we have in the Word.

    That is interesting given that he is never identified as such specifically.

    Henry Morris in his commentary on Genesis actually rejected the idea of Joseph being a type of Christ.

    Personally, I think he is.

    I suspect those who are not Dispensational are less likely to see him that way, but I should let them speak for themselves.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 4/23/2006 5:28 PM  

  • > She found immediate peace through believing. There is no other way.<


    What a wonderful truth!

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 4/23/2006 6:02 PM  

  • I'm in agreement with Rose on Joseph as the best "type of Christ" in the bible. Lots of them all over the place with the shadows of Christ and his work throughout the old testament.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 4/23/2006 9:23 PM  

  • Bluecollar,
    I wrote you a bit ago, but didn't realize your email wasn't working

    By Blogger Shawn, at 4/23/2006 9:24 PM  

  • Hi Rose!

    Do you think it wise to read the 'Lordship' controversy back into Spurgeon's sermons? Spurgeon was heir to the Puritans. He believed for the most part what they did. Further, Spurgeon believed that trusting in Christ=trusting in Christ as Lord, as this quote from the sermon suggests:
    I urged her to full faith in the once crucified but now ascended Lord, and the Holy Spirit there and then enabled her to trust.

    BTW, that quote also demonstrates Spurgeon's belief in faith as a gift.

    By Blogger Jeremy Weaver, at 4/23/2006 10:39 PM  

  • Hi Doxoblogist,
    I don't really mean to read the "Lordship controversy" back into Spurgeon's sermons. That isn't why I posted this. Faith was always a very simple idea in my mind until I began to read some things that made it more complicated. I'm not trying to stir up controversy. I like the sermon.

    I urged her to full faith in the once crucified but now ascended Lord, and the Holy Spirit there and then enabled her to trust.

    Jesus is Lord, Jeremy. I believe that. He is the God of all, creator of everything and holds it all together. I don't serve him as much as I ought (does anybody?)

    and the Holy Spirit there and then enabled her to trust.

    BTW, that quote also demonstrates Spurgeon's belief in faith as a gift.


    If that demonstrates that Spurgeon believed that faith is a gift, I guess I would share that belief. I understand that nobody can come to Christ unless the HS draws that one and enables him. Without Him, no one can do anything.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/23/2006 11:05 PM  

  • I am not saying, by appreciating this sermon, that I believe all that Spurgeon believed, anymore than I believe everything my own pastor believes. I just like this sermon - it "rings true" to me! ("ringing true" - that is a test of sound doctrine, isn't it? - jk)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/23/2006 11:10 PM  

  • 30% more confrontaional? lol

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/23/2006 11:11 PM  

  • The doxoblogist is a drive-by commenter! I guess I should feel privileged to have gotten one confrontational comment from him. I am still waitng for "many things to say to me..." and "Christ's Death As Our Liberation From Sin And The Degree To Which We Have Been Liberated." I could wait forever, I suppose. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/24/2006 6:41 PM  

  • Sorry. Didn't know I was supposed to respond.
    :-)

    By Blogger Jeremy Weaver, at 4/24/2006 10:39 PM  

  • I think this was a great message. Thanks for sharing it:-)

    God's Grace.

    By Blogger Corry, at 4/25/2006 10:15 AM  

  • Hi Rose, wow this is certainly a great sermon of Spurgeon. Thanks for posting.

    By Blogger Kitty Cheng, at 4/25/2006 1:48 PM  

  • Matthew writes, "I suspect those who are not Dispensational are less likely to see him [Joseph] that way [a type of Christ]." Not according to the history of interpretation.

    Rose, I would like to see a detailed discussion of your view on "What's Faith."

    By Blogger Jonathan Moorhead, at 4/25/2006 2:19 PM  

  • Is that right, Jonathan?

    Interesting.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 4/25/2006 4:42 PM  

  • Doxoblogist,
    You weren't supposed to respond ... it would just be nice to have a conversation with you - like in the old days. :~)
    Then again ...

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/26/2006 7:30 AM  

  • Hi Corry :~)
    I am glad that you enjoyed reading it. He definately had a gift with words. Thanks for visiting.

    Kitty ...
    Nice to see you there. It was long but very well worth it. I thought about it for weeks afterward ... and all that while being so simple.

    Jonathan,
    Thanks for stopping by. I am not a theologian, but I did just post some of my thoughts on it. I may do another post - part 3 - to talk some more on this subject. I don't think what I have written qualifies as a detailed discussion, but what do you expect?! ;~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/26/2006 7:35 AM  

  • I love Charles Spurgeon,
    He is so cut and dry, and so full of real passion! His book Lectures to my students is a great book that I have enjoyed. Good practical advice. I love that he was virtually a Holy-Spirit taught man. I heard that he never went to cemetary. Ooops I mean Seminary!

    I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All my music is free for download. Anyway, I don't mean to be a pest, just thought I'd share.

    Thanks,
    -Sean
    ______________________
    www.SeanDietrich.com
    "All my music is free."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/08/2006 1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here