Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Two Reasonable Bloggers!



Back in December, I was impressed with a certain Erlenmeyer Flask because he took the time to see someone else’s point of view and that person's passion, and although he disagreed with much of the other Christian’s theology (he being a Calvinist and the other not), he appreciated what the other guy was doing and he said so. I wanted to tell him how much I respected that and so I came up with this silly invention called the Reasonable Blogger Award. It was just my way of saying that I respected what Earl had done, as it blessed my heart. (I wish he would start posting again.)

I have recently been so impressed to present this award to two others in blogdom. H. K. Flynn (a.k.a. Jodie) is just such a kind and reasonable person. She presents her points of view without apology, but she never seems to get flustered ... and doesn't lash out at anybody, not even in the slightest way. (I need to follow her example more closely.) Last week, she got into a 224 comment long interrogation discussion over her beliefs about the gospel of John. She never once “cracked under the pressure” of being put on the spot, but handled herself with such grace that she made me proud to be on a group blog with her. I love this sister! She truly has some different ideas than what you typically hear from modern day or “historical” Christian thought. This post woke me up to the fact that there are methods or polemic devices called diatribes, that were commonly used in the Hellenistic world. I have noticed that she has gotton herself involved with the Centuri0n on his Debate Blog and he has not put down the idea of the objector and the diatribe while they discuss James 2:18-20. There must be something to it! I want to know more.

There is another somebody who I have noticed over the past months as he has become very admirable in my opinion. The Bluecollar (a.k.a. Mark ... or Mr. Pierson) is quite a guy! He has said that he types real slow and, at one point was even considering giving up posting because of wrist problems. Then, he discovered that he could post other people’s writings and edify the Christian blog universe in this way. The truth is, he edifies by his comments also and his general attitude. In the early days, I noticed Mark lash out a time or two, but he now tells of how he asked forgiveness for curt words and he has not flared up like that again to my knowledge. He interacts with us “Non-Calvinists” in a very kind, tolerant and loving manner. His purpose, he says, in this realm, is to edify believers, not just the Calvinist ones like himself. I love this brother! He loves Spurgeon. My favorite posting that he did of Spurgeon is here. I also liked this post where he shares a little more passion, such that I can truly appreciate. (I know I am biased, but I am not giving myself the award, am I?) Mark has written a lengthy article called Abba, Father that he posted Sunday, which I haven’t read yet, but I intend to.

So there you have it. I have two Calvinists and One Free Grace advocate in my sidebar under "Reasonable Bloggers." Maybe next I will find some non-labeled bloggers that I can add to the list. ;~)

The idea of handing out an award is fun because it exercises my sense of self-importance which is so amusing. (Who am I?)

34 Comments:

  • Rose,

    Coming from you, this is QUITE an honor. You are most kind and gracious.

    You and your blog are a blessing to us,and that is why I am a fixture on your comments threads. I hope that Rose's Reasonings is around for a long,long time.

    You are a fine Bible commentator; and when you post on the glories of Christ, your love of the Savior shines through and causes this blogger to want to swipe your posts to put on his own blog, which I will do next week.

    I know that I speak for all of your readers, (Dare I say "fans"? In my case,YES!!!), THAT YOU ARE A BLESSING and so is your blog. Please, always be there!

    Thank you for this honor!!!

    Mark

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 4/13/2006 11:54 AM  

  • Yes, I am fan of Rose's Reasonings too, Mark.

    Rose~, they both deserve it.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 4/13/2006 11:56 AM  

  • Rose, I agree very much with both your choices and with Mark's comments. You are three of the best bloggers that blogdom could hope for. ;-)

    By Blogger Kc, at 4/13/2006 1:43 PM  

  • I don't know of the first two, But the 3rd on is right on the mark :) Way to go bluecollar!!!!!!!


    and i will have to agree, with these 3, your Blog Rose is a blessing!

    By Blogger jel, at 4/13/2006 2:27 PM  

  • Very well said, Rose. These bloggers are certainly deserving of this distinction.

    By Blogger Gordon, at 4/13/2006 2:28 PM  

  • Mark,
    You are so friendly and kind. I appreciate you!

    Matthew,
    You and Mark are very encouraging to say that.

    KC,
    Thanks! I knew you see the beauty of these two.

    Jel,
    My links weren't working, but I fixed them, so everywhere you see a bold italic green word, you can click on it and see what I am talking about. Thanks, jel!

    Gordon,
    They are. Thanks for stopping over!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/13/2006 2:49 PM  

  • Good Choice Rose,
    Congratulations to two fine Christian bloggers.

    May God continue to bless your blog ministries, they have both blessed me. Allow me to quote one of my buddies, but apply it to you two too "Please, always be there!"

    brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 4/13/2006 6:15 PM  

  • Wow I wish I could be like them without getting flustered when someone starts "attacking" me or my point of view. I haven't gotten that far, but I do try. Great Idea about the award Rose!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/13/2006 7:13 PM  

  • Rose, you are very reasonable. I admire your objectivity and intelligence. Congratulations on the two wonderful bloggers.

    By Blogger Kitty Cheng, at 4/13/2006 9:04 PM  

  • Rose !

    You are too kind!

    Now I'm flustered, big time!

    Thanks you so much, I agree with Mark that it is a big honor coming from you, Rose, a truly wise blogger :)

    Thank you sweetie :)

    ANd I'm also honored to be paired with Bluecollar who's a class act!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/13/2006 9:40 PM  

  • Jodie,

    YOU are the class act after what I saw last week!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 4/13/2006 11:49 PM  

  • Oh la la. I think I have been here before, but forgot. But for some reason I didn't think you had a personal blog. I had always gone to the other group just to seek your opinions. Now I can come here and not have to wade through Antonio's drivel. ;)

    By Blogger sofyst, at 4/14/2006 7:07 AM  

  • Hi J. Wendell,
    I am glad we agree!

    Dorothy,
    Yes, I wish I were as well. I try. Thanks for stopping by. Tell me - do you have dsl, Cable or dial up? I ask because you said that it takes you a long time to load my page like my friend said and I am trying to figure out what your situtation has in common with his. Thanks.

    Kitty,
    That is so nice of you to say! I do not think I am always so reasonable, but it is something I strive for. These two are also striving and I admire that. Thanks for the word, girl!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/14/2006 7:48 AM  

  • Hi H. K. Jodie!
    YOU are too kind to call me wise. ;~)
    You both are class acts.

    sofyst,
    I am glad you found it. You are a bad boy to use that word drivel - I think I have seen it before somewhere. hmmmm ...
    Look at my rules in the sidebar - "be nice"! If you can follow those rules (which I think you are very capable of) then you are more than welcome here. :~) (School marm tapping fingers on desk.)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/14/2006 7:53 AM  

  • Found your blog... is really great. I am new to the world of bloggers.. there are not too many "Christian bloggers" here in Europe... will return often!

    John
    http://the-way-i-see-it-john.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger john, at 4/14/2006 8:38 AM  

  • You have chosen well.

    By Blogger Joe, at 4/14/2006 8:56 AM  

  • Hey, John, I am a Christian blogger in Europe.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 4/14/2006 10:16 AM  

  • Rose, knowing me, and knowing my sofystry, would you really think that I meant 'drivel' in any other manner except the nicest way possible? For me, 'drivel', is a term of endearment. :P

    By Blogger sofyst, at 4/14/2006 5:47 PM  

  • knowing me, and knowing my sofystry

    ABBA?...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/14/2006 6:16 PM  

  • Hi John,
    I am glad you found us and that you like! I will check out your blog as well.

    Joe,
    Your approval means a lot. :~)

    Sofyst,
    You can't fool me - I saw you over at the Calvinst Gadfly. Endearment? hmmm...
    :~) I almost believe you.

    H.K. - I got that! Probably these youngins won't.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/14/2006 6:55 PM  

  • ABBA? All girl group.

    I'm older than Rose and Jodie. :-)

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 4/14/2006 8:56 PM  

  • Rose, you belong at the top of your award list and I truly mean that. Your ability to remain calm was one of the first things I noticed and admired about you while reading your blog.

    I read your entire series on TULIP and was impressed with you and those who contributed to the discussion. It was nice to see that there really are some reasonable and civil Calvinists out there who are willing to agree to disagree and not cut off fellowship with the non-Calvinist.

    Congrats to those who have made your list thus far!

    By Blogger Dawn, at 4/14/2006 10:52 PM  

  • Thank you to everyone for their kind remarks : )

    And Dawn~~

    Very true !!
    I second that in a very big way !!!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/14/2006 11:19 PM  

  • Rose,

    Jodie is a knowledgable, patient, and provacative blogger. (You aren't too bad yourself)

    :)

    Antonio

    By Blogger Antonio, at 4/14/2006 11:34 PM  

  • Rose,
    Nice of you to recognize these two very classy bloggers. Let me offer a big purr of congratulations to them both.

    Jazzycat

    By Blogger jazzycat, at 4/15/2006 12:26 AM  

  • Two wonderful believers as they have great understanding, yet remain as children. A good model for us to imitate.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 4/15/2006 11:21 AM  

  • Dawn,
    Thank you so much!!! I really try to not be a reactionary in the blog world, so I am glad that I come across as not a reactionary. I hope you will post something soon. Thanks for reading.

    Jodie - too kind!

    Antonio,
    Jodie IS a fine lady.
    Did you read the whole post? I know you and Mark got heated up, and part of the reason (besides how he treats me and other non-Cals) why I consider him to be so reasonable is that he apologized to you back in December and has been very reasonable when he visited your blog after that. I hope you can appreciate that about him too, that he could change his attitude and publicly apologize.
    Thanks for the visit and the kind words to me, Antonio! You don't need to answer this comment.

    Jazzycat,
    You are a man! Men don't purr and cats don't have wives. ;~) Thanks kitty kitty.

    Brian,
    I agree. We agree!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/15/2006 1:38 PM  

  • Thanks Antonio, Jazzy and Brian :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/15/2006 4:26 PM  

  • I have heard of Abba. Lots of young people like Abba. They even played it at nightclubs when I was at university (awful places).

    I am not a fan of Abba in the slightest.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 4/15/2006 6:06 PM  

  • just stopping by to say hi, have a great sunday

    By Blogger jel, at 4/15/2006 8:24 PM  

  • I trust you've had a blessed Resurrection Sunday!

    By Blogger Joe, at 4/16/2006 5:36 PM  

  • You have a very big network of Christian bloggers. In addition, your blog is very well-designed. Grateful if you can check out my spiritual blog at http://borax.wordpress.com apart from my blogspot blogs.

    Regards
    Rupert

    By Blogger prolix, at 5/06/2006 5:53 AM  

  • One year and a day later I still say you are a blessing!

    Keep blogging!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 4/14/2007 8:52 PM  

  • Mark,
    You are a blessing, too. Thanks for the comment. I am praying for you and your family.
    :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/17/2007 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here