Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Behold the Lamb of God …

… Who Takes Away the Sin of the World

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel." (John 1:29-31)

τη επαυριον βλεπει τον ιησουν ερχομενον προς αυτον και λεγει ιδε ο αμνος του θεου ο αιρων την αμαρτιαν του κοσμου (John 1:29 Wescott & Hort)

Greek meanings of the words in John 1:29:

Behold = see

Lamb = masculine lamb

of God = the Supreme Divinity

who takes away = to raise up, elevate, lift up; to take upon one’s self and carry what has been raised up, to bear; to bear away what has been raised, carry off; do away with; cause to cease

the sin = missing the mark; that which is done wrong, an offence, a violation of the divine law in thought or in act; collectively, the complex or aggregate of sins committed either by a single person or by many

of the world = the world, the universe; the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human family; the ungodly multitude; the whole mass of men alienated from God, and therefore hostile to the cause of Christ; the aggregate of things earthly; any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort; the Gentiles as contrasted to the Jews
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Behold ...
This passage is so awesome! I have been thinking about it all day. John the Baptist sees Jesus. He had already been shown who Jesus was by a visible revelation of the Spirit of God (what a privilege). Next day, he sees Jesus, and in excitement, (I imagine) John proclaims “Behold!” This word is also translated in the newer versions “Look!” He tells his followers to direct their attention to the theanthropic being – the eternal Godhead in bodily form. This word echoes down through the ages … off the pages of Scripture … and right into my ear: Look!

... the lamb of God …
I don't think this means the harmless one from God. This hearkens to the fulfillment of the types that these animals are in the OT (that was the only Bible around at this time.) Lambs were there at passover as their blood on the doorposts was used to save the Israelites from death. They were sometimes used for sacrifice in the temple. Their close cousin, the goat, was used to signify carrying away of the sin of the people on the Day of Atonement. This is a special lamb, though ... He is the lamb of God.

... who takes away the sin …
This lamb of God raises up, takes upon himself and carries off the sin … the missing the mark, the violation of God’s law in thought and action … the whole mess of it! He does away with it; it has no eternal consequence once he lifts it up and carries it off. When His ministry is carried to its ultimate, He will do away with sin for good. Some day, there will be no more sin at all. This is a certain and sure future … only because of the lamb of God who takes away the sin...

... of the world!
If this word means all the inhabitants of the earth, the human family, the ungodly multitude, the whole mass of men alienated from God ... then this is quite a feat that this lamb will perform. Will he take away all that sin, all that missing the mark and violating of God? What a wonder if He takes it on for the whole world! But, even if He only takes it on for “a collection of the particulars of any sort" … the “world of the elect” … it is still such an amazing endeavor for one person, just one lamb.

Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.
Look at Him!

22 Comments:

  • Hi Rose,

    Great post :)

    In Heaven this verse won't be controversial !

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/31/2006 12:15 AM  

  • Rose it's hard for me to imagine how John must have felt or all he was thinking at the moment he realized that Christ was approaching. I'm so thankful to be part of "the world". Wonderful post. ;-)

    By Blogger Kc, at 3/31/2006 1:31 AM  

  • Excellent post, Rose~. What a cheering thing to read.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 3/31/2006 3:17 AM  

  • Well done Rose.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 3/31/2006 5:17 AM  

  • There is something dramatic about "behold."

    Yet it is not the drama, but the "seeing" that is important.

    I think the passage implies: Look, and see with understanding the ultimate sacrifice of God, through whom the sin-debt is paid!

    By Blogger Joe, at 3/31/2006 6:52 AM  

  • Excellent,excellent post Rose. I love the amount of study you put into these posts. You are certainly coming to be a fine commentator. I may not always agree with you, but you have EARNED my respect. I love your work. I love your vast, and still growing knowledge of God's word.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Mark

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 3/31/2006 7:32 AM  

  • Hi Jodie,
    I will look forward to the rest from controversy!

    KC,
    Yes, it is hard to imagine what it must have been like to be in John's shoes. He had a very special privilege. We are so privileged to know of it ... to read of it and be blessed. kc, I am also glad that I am part of "the world." Thanks for your encouragement, brother.

    Matthew,
    I am glad you found cheer in it. I certainly did. I was singing that portion of the Messiah (Handel) yesterday because I had read this in the morning and the night before. Thanks for saying so.

    J. Wendell,
    I don't see anybody who is impressed by the Wescott and Hort as you said they would be. ;~) Thanks for the kind words, John. :~)

    Joe,
    Yes, you have a point. We must SEE him. We can see better than a lot of those who were standing there, I would think. We have the completed Word of God that explains all of it to us ... many copies ... lying around our homes! Behold ... look ... see!

    Thanks, Bluecollar!
    Even CDs can understand certain truths! Love you, brother!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 3/31/2006 11:39 AM  

  • Rose,
    Very nice.

    Heartily, Todd

    By Blogger Todd Saunders, at 3/31/2006 3:29 PM  

  • Rose,

    do you think that the taking away of the sins of the world is merely potential, or has is it actual?

    Antonio

    By Blogger Antonio, at 3/31/2006 5:56 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    You said:

    "... of the world!
    If this word means all the inhabitants of the earth, the human family, the ungodly multitude, the whole mass of men alienated from God ... then this is quite a feat that this lamb will perform."


    In Revelation 5, we see the redemption of the Lamb spoken of again:

    ". . . fell down before the Lamb. . . And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll, and to open its seals; for You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation . . ."

    There is a cause-and-effect relationship here that ties to the theme of redemption. To 'redeem' means to buy something back. In order to redeem something, the price that is offered (Jesus) must be of equal or greater than the object being redeemed (mankind).

    So essentially, when they are saying "You are worthy, for You redeemed us . . ." they are saying, "You are more HOLY than all of we, put together, are SINFUL."

    So great is His worth in redeeming us that it knows no limits, since HE is the one being offered in our place:

    "Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him."
    (Heb 7:25)

    I am also tempted to answer Antonio's question, but it's your blog so I'll wait to see what you have to say.

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 3/31/2006 10:32 PM  

  • Heartily, Todd, I say thank you! Todd, your comments make me smile. God bless you.

    Antonio da Rosa!
    Thank you for coming over. It has been a while. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw your name in the inbox.
    I see it is ACTUAL - the sins of the world are taken away.

    Hi Cleopas (Loren),
    Great thoughts! HE is WORTHY, isn't he? We have a wonderful God!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/01/2006 9:27 AM  

  • I believe it's potential and actual ;)--extent of the atonement.

    Good article Rose!

    Just a quick update, I've switched back to my old url:

    http://rbg.blogsome.com

    BTW, it's good to see Antonio is still out there!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/01/2006 5:31 PM  

  • Rose, me really likes your reasonings!!

    By Blogger Redeemed, at 4/01/2006 7:10 PM  

  • Hi Bobby!
    I would like you to explain that here. Potential/actual.
    I am gald I saved that Blogsome address in my favorites!

    It is good to see our friend Antonio!

    Redeemed Sarah,
    I like you too! Thanks for the comment!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/02/2006 4:11 PM  

  • Cleopas,
    I would like to see your answer to Antonio's question. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/02/2006 4:13 PM  

  • Very nice work, Rose.

    By Blogger Gordon, at 4/02/2006 4:25 PM  

  • Thanks, Gordon!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/02/2006 11:53 PM  

  • Rose,

    I would say potential=for "whosoever will"; and actual=for "whosoever has" ;-)--kind of a cop out answer . . . sorry :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/03/2006 1:36 AM  

  • Rose, I will attempt to put this excellent post in my sidebar at bluecollarmusings under "Great Evangelical Writings".

    Your frind!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 10/25/2007 7:34 AM  

  • Mark,
    That is fine if you want to do that. It is your sidebar. :~)
    Thank you.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/25/2007 10:34 AM  

  • Somebody who was once known as "bluecollar" once said, "Excellent,excellent post Rose. I love the amount of study you put into these posts. You are certainly coming to be a fine commentator. I may not always agree with you, but you have EARNED my respect. I love your work. I love your vast, and still growing knowledge of God's word."

    I know that bells can't be unrung, but I hope to be able to reverse damage done by my recent, and very wrong comments.

    bye for now.

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 10/27/2007 9:07 PM  

  • Mark,
    Honestly, I just do not understand what you have been trying to do. I am bothered by all of it. I do have feelings.
    Tell your frined Wayne that I do not understand why he is out to insult me either. What have I ever done to him? What have I ever done to you? I do not get it.
    :~(

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/28/2007 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here