Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Thursday, April 06, 2006

God Created! by J. Vernon McGee

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. (Genesis 1:27)

This is one of the great statements of the Word of God. I cannot conceive of anything quite as wonderful as this. What does it mean? Well, man is like God, I think, as a trinity. Immediately someone is going to say, "Oh, I know what you mean. Man is physically, mentally, and spiritually a being." Yes, I believe that is true. Paul, in 1 Thessalonians 5:23, says that very thing: "And I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." Although this is true, it actually means more than that. I think that it refers to the fact that man is a personality–he is self-conscious, and he is one who makes his own decisions. He is a free moral agent. Apparently that is the thing which is unique about mankind. I believe this is what is meant by God creating man in His own image.

"Male and female created he them." These verses do not give to us the details of how man was created and how woman was created. We won't find that until we come to the second chapter. That is the reason that I say that God did not intend to give us the details concerning the creation of this great universe that we are in or He would have given us another chapter relative to that. But He offers no explanation other than He is the Creator. This puts us right back to the all-important truth which we find in the eleventh chapter of Hebrews: "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear" (Hebrews 11:3).

Things we see today were made out of things which did not even exist before. The creation was made ex nihilo, out of nothing. Somebody says, "Explain that." My friend, I can't explain it. And evolution doesn't explain it either. Evolution has never answered the question of how nothing becomes something. It always starts with a little amoeba or a garbage can or a little piece of seaweed or an animal up in a tree. Our minds must have something to start with, but the Bible starts with nothing. God created! This is the tremendous revelation of this chapter.

From Edited Messages on Genesis by J. Vernon McGee

13 Comments:

  • Great quote sis and it goes straight to the heart of what faith is. ;-)

    By Blogger Kc, at 4/06/2006 12:49 PM  

  • Rose, I ((( EEECCCHHHOOO))) kc here.

    Is that what an echo looks like on paper?

    ECW

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 4/06/2006 1:00 PM  

  • Very thought provoking post! (hope that the right word)



    and Mark, you are a cut up! :)

    take care

    By Blogger jel, at 4/06/2006 1:49 PM  

  • My favorite line,

    "Evolution has never answered the question of how nothing becomes something. It always starts with a little amoeba or a garbage can or a little piece of seaweed or an animal up in a tree. Our minds must have something to start with, but the Bible starts with nothing. God created!"

    By Blogger Jonathan Moorhead, at 4/06/2006 3:19 PM  

  • Wow, Ros(i)e! It's a good thing that this comment page is separate from the main page; otherwise, I'm not sure that I'd be able to see well enough to type (due, of course, to the graphic arts brilliance that is your main page!).

    Having been voluntarily away from the "blogosphere" for about half of a year, I see that I've missed much! Inter alia, when did Pyromaniac become plural?

    Just when you thought you had an innocuous "post": Indeed, we are made in God's image, but only He is sovereign [which, of course, means that we are not -- as to ANY* aspect of our temporal and eternal existence (sovereignty, schmovereignty)]!

    * I know that you know what I'm saying

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/06/2006 3:36 PM  

  • Ever read "The Attributes of God", by A.W. Tozer? One of His chapters touches a lot on this.

    Thanks for posting that, Rose. Sometimes, it's those simple verses that actually say a lot!

    By Blogger Redeemed, at 4/06/2006 6:28 PM  

  • And who but God could create? Now that is an amazing thought as well.

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 4/06/2006 8:20 PM  

  • Hi Kc,
    I didn't even think about that. Thanks for bringing it up!

    Bluecollar,
    No, it is like this:
    {{{{{{eeecccchhhhoooo}}}}}}
    Where is paper? (am I being nitpicky now?)

    Hi jel!
    Mark IS a "cut-up". A cut up ECW!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/07/2006 12:49 AM  

  • Jim McDermott!!
    Hello, brother. Thank you for the compliment on my graphics. Like I said, that was one of my main reasons for doinf this - so I could be more computer literate as a graphic designer.

    Pyromaniacs - I am not sure - 2 months ago maybe.

    Yes, I know what you are saying but you mean something different by sovereignty than what the Bible means, so there!

    You are right, though ONLY God is truly sovereign.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/07/2006 12:54 AM  

  • Hi Jonathan,
    I liked that line as well. It reminded me of my mentor when I first became a believer. He had very colorful ways of saying things. I love McGee for that. He was a home boy.

    Hi Sarah,
    I never did read that, but I think my husband has the book. I will ask him. You are right about the simple verses.

    Hi Cleopas,
    No one. God is truly amazing and His Word reveals this amazement to me. Thanks for coming over!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/07/2006 12:56 AM  

  • Just "for the record", Ros(i)e:

    As I expect you'll concur, Scripture itself doesn't DEFINE sovereignty, but it does describe it sufficiently that a (Webster's) dictionary definition of sovereignty may be evaluated as to whether it conforms to the standard (Truth) that is Scripture.

    To wit: Sovereignty is defined as "the state or quality of being sovereign". Sovereign is defined as "1. above or superior to all others; chief; greatest; supreme
    2. supreme in power, rank, or authority * * *"

    I am not sovereign in ANY matter if God is sovereign (He is, in EVERY matter). It really is that simple!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/07/2006 1:04 PM  

  • Hi Jim,
    Good work looking up those definitions. Like I said, I agree, only God is truly sovereign.
    I hope you will come around again and read and comment some more.
    :~) K?

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/08/2006 8:04 AM  

  • Sound stuff.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 4/10/2006 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here