Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Birth, Breast and Beef

Warning: sensitive content for bashful readers!

quick sketch I did last year
My little girl turned 8 today. I have never written a post about her (seems the boys get all the attention), so I hoped I would find some inspiration from her to share on this, her birthday. I did!

I held Charlotte on my lap this morning and I stroked her head, telling her how glad I am that she is my little girl. She smiled. I told her I remembered the day that I had her … how they put her in my arms and she cried like a pterodactyl … (that is how John and I described it at the time – how would we know what a pterodactyl sounds like?) She and I tried to replicate the sounds that her tiny new vocal chords had made, but we just couldn’t get the right pitch. She asked me what happened next and I told her a little about the apgar test and how the nurses cleaned her up and wrapped her in a green blanket.

She reminded me of how, when she was a baby, (she has heard about this before) she wouldn’t take a bottle from anyone. I told her about that first day in the hospital and how she stopped her crying when I took her to myself to nurse (breastfeed) her. She seemed a little surprised at this: “Did you have to teach me how to get the milk?”
I explained to her that, quite to the contrary, she knew just what to do … and was quite a natural at breastfeeding. I have heard this is not always the case, but with my three children, it was never a problem! The first child nursed until he was _!

In the next few minutes, thinking about this, I was awed again at how fearfully and wonderfully made we are. How is it that these babies come out and know just how to find sustenance from their mothers? God has put it within them to do what they need to survive if the means are provided.

How does this apply to God’s spiritual children, those born-again believers?

Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. (1 Peter 2:1-3)

Peter says that we have been born again by the Word of God and we need to find nourishment there. While the sweet newborn Charlotte was beautiful as a suckling, if she was still only into milk, something would be terribly wrong! Similarly, we must move on from jealousy and quarrelling in our fellowship and stop acting like babies. (1 Cor. 3:1-3) We need to mature in our walk with the Lord so that we can handle training in righteousness, which those who aren't maturing in Christ aren’t always receptive to. (Heb. 5:12-15)

We had hamburgers for her birthday dinner - this is what she wanted and we were happy to share that meal with her.

Charlotte is my precious little sweetie. I am so glad that thinking about her as an infant brought this to mind today.

Happy Birthday Charlotte!

18 Comments:

  • hope you had a great birthday, Charlotte! :)

    By Blogger jel, at 4/09/2006 9:05 AM  

  • Happy belated birthday Charlotte!

    Rose, Great post, great lesson. You are a peace-maker.

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 4/09/2006 1:14 PM  

  • Happy birthday Charlotte!!! ;-)

    (Rose, I agree with brother Mark.)

    By Blogger Kc, at 4/09/2006 2:10 PM  

  • Rose I forgot to tell you that, I really like that drawing, ya good :)

    By Blogger jel, at 4/09/2006 2:34 PM  

  • Rose,
    Very neat. What was your daughters assessment of the drawing? Was she amazed, mixed, disbelief? I'm just nosey and curious about those things, having my own 6 yr. old daughter and all. Take care.

    Heartily...Todd

    By Blogger Todd Saunders, at 4/09/2006 2:57 PM  

  • Beautiful post, Rose, and a beautiful daughter you have.

    A very happy birthday to her!!!

    By Blogger Redeemed, at 4/09/2006 3:01 PM  

  • Happy Birthday, Charlotte.

    Great illustrations, Rose.

    KC, be careful when you agree with Mark. ;-)

    God bless you brother Mark!

    brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 4/09/2006 3:24 PM  

  • Yes, Ros(i)e, but if God had caused her to prefer formula, ... [mostly kidding! (k)].

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/09/2006 3:29 PM  

  • Rose,

    How in the world did I forget to compliment your drawing of Charlotte?! Bad, bad, bluecollar!

    Great drawing, Rose!

    John, and I thought we were buddies?! Sad,sad, bluecollar

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 4/09/2006 4:43 PM  

  • Wonderful post Rose! I hope your daughter had a great birthday. Today is my son Jonathans Birthday. He just turned 2. We spent it with my parents it was really nice!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/09/2006 5:49 PM  

  • Jel,
    Bluecollar,
    KC,
    Sarah,
    I read this Charlotte earlier and she really appreciated the happy birthdays! Thanks!

    KC and Mark,
    Huh? Are you sure about that? I try, but sometimes I think I stir the pot even when I am NOT trying to (sometimes I know I try to! - always in fun, but not always resulting in fun, I'm afraid)

    Todd,
    Charlotte didn't like sitting still. She liked it though, if I remember correctly. It wasn't as good as I could've done - I didn't spend enough time on it. Your daughter is cute!

    Sarah,
    Thanks for the compliment about the post.

    Dorothy,
    Thank you too. Happy birthday to Jonathan! God bless you, you have one in diapers still!

    Bluecollar is so kind. Kind kind bluecollar!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/09/2006 10:10 PM  

  • Jim McDermott,
    After today's message - how could you come here and say that? ;~)
    Just kiddin, K!

    I like the way you do this: Ros(i)e

    To my other readers: Jim has always known me at church as "Rose". My family all call me "Rosie", though - they always have. Jim made friends with my brother Pat last spring or summer and I am sure he must be talking about me with Jim because ever since they became friends, Jim calls me this: Ros(i)e when he emails me. I get a chuckle out of it. ... even though he is a hyper-calvinist. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/09/2006 10:15 PM  

  • Wonderful thoughts, Rose. Happy Birthday Charlotte!

    By Blogger Jonathan Moorhead, at 4/10/2006 12:43 AM  

  • Rose,

    What a great story and a great birthday to have for Charlotte.

    I am praying and wanting to be more thankful and patient and joyful with my children today and this really spoke to me.

    Blessings,
    Shawn Lynes

    By Blogger Shawn, at 4/10/2006 8:10 AM  

  • I hope she had a great day.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 4/10/2006 9:13 AM  

  • Hi Jonathan,
    Thanks for the kind words.

    Hello Shawn!
    Is it really you? I have not seen you in quite a while. I am honored that you would say what you did. Thank you for that.
    Every Blessing in Christ!

    Matthew,
    She did. I am glad you are back. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/10/2006 11:19 AM  

  • A Happy belated Birthday, Charlotte!

    Rose, I like your drawing. I would love to see more of your work. Maybe you could post some?? :-)

    God's Grace.

    By Blogger Corry, at 4/10/2006 5:13 PM  

  • Hi Corry!
    Thanks for the compliment. I will, but not all at once ... here and there. I posted a sketch of the man that led me to the Lord back in February, I think. I have some more that I am going to use.
    Thanks for stopping by! God bless you.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 4/11/2006 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here