Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Monday, March 20, 2006

I like Big Buts …

No, not “butts.” I like the BUTS in the Bible wherein hopelessness and hardship is contrasted with God’s provision. Here are some very big BUTS!

My flesh and my heart may fail, BUT God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)

That is so true. Without God, I am an utter failure, BUT He is strength to me and always will be ... forever and ever.

He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. BUT you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:7-8)

In this age of the church, we don’t always know what is just around the corner. Unlike some “teachers” who have tried to set dates, God doesn’t give us the dates of the events of the future that we may or may not live to see. … BUT We have POWER (!) because of the indwelling Holy Spirit to be witnesses for Jesus Christ ... everywhere!

You killed the author of life, BUT God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. (Acts 3:15)

Jesus died. Our sin was the reason. There were some particular men that participated in the deed, BUT God raised Him from the dead! He was dead … stone cold dead … for three days, BUT He came back to life, never to die again. This life He offers to mankind – resurrection life! It wouldn’t be resurrection life if not for the death ... and the BUT.

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. BUT God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! (Romans 5: 6-9)

No human being is worthy of the death of the Son of God. None of us could have commanded such an act of sacrifice: the laying down of the life of God on our behalf. As people in our respective societies, we would probably not be inclined to offer our life for someone else. If it was a good and righteous citizen who was threatened, we might give it a thought. However, it is highly doubtful that any of would trade our life for a disgusting pervert. This is what I see here. We were that repulsive rebel, BUT God put His love on display by releasing His life as ransom, even when we would not have been the slightest bit interested in knowing Him, but hated Him.

Again, the gift of God is not like the result of the one man's sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, BUT the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. (Romans 5:16)

We were all condemned, BUT the gift brought justification! Hooray!

The law was added so that the trespass might increase. BUT where sin increased, grace increased all the more … (Romans 5:20)

We should realize we have transgressed God’s perfect standard for human conduct, BUT He poured out Grace! No mountain of sins is higher than the Grace available!

For the wages of sin is death, BUT the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

This is my favorite BUT. We have earned death; we have worked for it. It is our “just reward.” BUT!!! God gives us ETERNAL LIFE instead! We receive the benefit of Christ’s work by grace through faith in that which He finished!

...We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, BUT not crushed; perplexed, BUT not in despair; persecuted, BUT not abandoned; struck down, BUT not destroyed. (2 Cor. 4:7-9)

We continue to struggle through life as a new creation in Christ. We are still in the body (and with the old man?) that is prone to sin, decay, sorrow and perplexity. We are in a world that is contrary to our Lord and we are not immune from persecution, BUT … we are not crushed! BUT, we are not in despair! BUT, we are not abandoned! BUT, we are not destroyed! Praise God.

And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God … Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, BUT only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life. (Rev 21:10 & 27)

Someday, after this age is over, God is going to bring something magnificent to pass! The New Jerusalem will be seen. Reading about it gives us a hint of what a fabulous place it is.

In this world, all the trouble, sin and sorrow that we have seen has been pitiful. There is wicked evil in man in this world … BUT not in the Holy City! There will be no brawlers there … no terrorists … no murderers … no child molesters … no thieves … no disobedience to parents … no drunkards … no jealous thinkers. No evil! These things will be gone because they are antithetical to God … who will be present there! There will be no deceit or nothing shameful left in those who enter it. We will be clothed in righteousness ... because our names are now in the book of Life.

I like the Big BUTS of the Bible.

28 Comments:

  • Rose,

    I simply loved this post. Thank you so very much for sharing it. You are so right-on in your focus on Jesus. Bless you, my sister!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 3/20/2006 10:18 AM  

  • Rose,
    I 2 love this post, and not buts about it!

    ( sorry about that about i just had to say that :) )

    take care and God bless

    By Blogger jel, at 3/20/2006 10:24 AM  

  • Rose,

    "BUT God put His love on display by releasing His life as ransom, even when we would not have been the slightest bit interested in knowing Him, but hated Him."

    Powerful! right- on! excellent!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 3/20/2006 10:30 AM  

  • Great post Rose! I like the IF's and the THEN's too. ;-)

    By Blogger Kc, at 3/20/2006 10:34 AM  

  • This is a good post. Thanks for reminding us of the great hope we have.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 3/20/2006 11:19 AM  

  • I love this post ... This reminds me what Jospeh say
    Gen 50
    20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.


    Thank You

    Doug

    By Blogger forgiven, at 3/20/2006 2:04 PM  

  • Bluecollar,
    Thank you for loving it. I loved doing it. It was like doing a very edifying Bible study. Blogging posts is best for me when it is like that. I am glad you appreciate it.

    jel,
    Thank you. I also appreciate your thoughts. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. :~)

    Hi kc,
    Yes, ... hmmmmm ...
    Maybe there's another post in there somewhere. You see "if ... then" in my header graphic? I should have thought of that for a post. Thanks!

    Matthew,
    I always appreciate your kind thoughts. Every Blessing.

    Forgiven,
    Great! I was hoping some readers would offer some more buts. What a great but! Thank you. That is a BIG BUT, is it not?
    God bless you.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 3/20/2006 2:58 PM  

  • what about this one

    But I wiil lie with my fathers, and thou shalt carry me out of Egypt, and bury me in their buryingplace. And he said, I will do as thou hast said. Gen.47-30

    By Blogger jel, at 3/20/2006 3:47 PM  

  • you got me met hook i'm going though looking to see just how many but are in the bible now :)

    this one I love
    But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. Gen.6-8

    But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wife with thee. Gen. 6-18

    By Blogger jel, at 3/20/2006 4:12 PM  

  • And you were dead in trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience-among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God...
    Ephesians 2:1-4 ESV

    By Blogger Jeremy Weaver, at 3/20/2006 5:24 PM  

  • What a great post Rose! I am hard pressed... I really enjoyed your post on Every Blessing in Christ, and I think this post will be my one of my favorites too. BUT I am hard pressed to choose one or the other. Good work Rose.

    brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 3/20/2006 6:24 PM  

  • Thank God for butting in on our behalf!

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 3/21/2006 5:22 AM  

  • Rose,

    May I please swipe this post at a later date in order to put on my blog? I love putting these kinds of posts on my blog because they lead people to a place of praise and adoration of the Savior. Please, please, please... :-)

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 3/21/2006 6:32 AM  

  • Good ones, jel!

    Doxoblogist!
    You didn't follow rule #1 from my "Guiding Principles for Visits Here"
    :~)
    OK, Jeremy, Hi!
    Great passage!
    ...BUT God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

    I am really looking forward to
    the in the ages to come ... part, aren't you? Thanks, Jeremy for bringing that to mind!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 3/21/2006 9:43 AM  

  • J. Wendell,
    Thank you for your encouragement. I love the way you do plays on words sometimes! Your face is very welcome here. Your blog has been great lately. Love you!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 3/21/2006 9:45 AM  

  • Cleopas,
    Great alliteration. I am thankful for the buts of the scriptures. I am glad that the Lord steps in at every turn.

    Bluecollar,
    I told you - you may do that anytime - I am honored. Yes, Yes, Yes ... :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 3/21/2006 9:47 AM  

  • Hi Rose!!!!!!!!

    Thank you!!!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 3/21/2006 10:07 AM  

  • Wonderful post, Rose. Jeremy got the BUT that I was going to share, that one is my favorite.

    You certainly had an attention-getting title on this post.

    By Blogger Gordon, at 3/21/2006 11:59 AM  

  • That is a great post! I love those buts too. I've always liked this one too.

    And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: BUT I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not Luke 22:32

    It's great having a high priest who intercedes for us. Thanks for the encouragement.

    God Bless,

    Doug

    By Blogger Doug E., at 3/21/2006 7:32 PM  

  • Ok, Bluecollar!!!!
    I get the message!!!!!

    Gordon,
    Thanks. Jeremy is great that way. As for the title - yea, I thought of it when this rap song came on TV a few weeks ago. Strange places I get inspiration sometimes.

    Hi Doug,
    Great verse. We don't have to be sifted by Satan, because of our great High Priest. Great reminder!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 3/22/2006 11:46 AM  

  • Hey Rose,

    Actually what I was trying to say with that verse was that even when we are sifted by Satan, Christ prays for us and sustain us. Sorry for being unclear.

    God Bless,

    Doug

    By Blogger Doug E., at 3/22/2006 7:47 PM  

  • I agree with Jeremy - Eph 2 is the biggest "but" of all.

    By Blogger Jonathan Moorhead, at 3/22/2006 7:58 PM  

  • I thought this post was going to be racy, BUT when I read it I was fully edified.

    By Blogger Joe, at 3/23/2006 7:07 AM  

  • Rose - my dad was a pastor and he would always say from the pulpit that "But" was his favorite word! And even though I understood what he was saying, it always sort of embarrassed me as a junior higher! :-)

    BUT... I do agree that it IS the best word in the Bible!

    By Blogger keltic, at 3/24/2006 10:56 AM  

  • Those are some great Buts!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/24/2006 12:17 PM  

  • Thanks Debbie! Thanks for stopping by.

    Jonathan,
    Yes, I think I recall you mentioning that one to me before. I love it too. Thanks for visiting!

    Joe,
    Your reaction was the desired one. (I am so bad) BUT ... I have a purpose in what I do! Thanks for visiting!

    Hi Keltic & Swiss!
    I have seen you at the anti-itch headquarters. How nice of you to stop by and offer the perspective of a Pastor's kid. Your dad was a "BUT" man, huh? (Poor joke - sorry). It is a great three-letter word which changes everything. Come back again.

    Dorothy,
    Thanks for coming over. I hope you are well. I now have a bad cold. I think I got it through the DSL of my internet connection. ;~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 3/24/2006 3:34 PM  

  • I thought this post was going to be racy, BUT when I read it I was fully edified.

    he he he

    Hilarious, and I think this is my favorite of your posts :) :) :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/25/2006 6:36 PM  

  • Hi Jodie!
    That is fun that this is your favorite. I like you.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 3/26/2006 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here