Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Created By One God

I am too busy to write a post, so I am posting an article by one of my very favorite Bible teachers, Dr. J. Vernon McGee.

Have we not all one father? Hath not one God created us? Why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers? (Malachi 2:10)

There are some expositors who say that the "father" refers to Abraham since both Israel and Judah are mentioned in the verse that follows. However, I think that the next question makes it clear that Malachi is speaking about God as the Father: "Hath not one God created us?" He also makes it clear in what way God is the Father.

He is the Father by creation, but man lost that relationship. Adam was called the son of God, but after the Fall, he begat a son in his own likeness–not in the likeness of God, but in the likeness of his own fallen nature. Therefore, when the nation Israel comes into view, we do not find God speaking specifically of any individual Israelite as His son. Rather, He speaks of the corporate body of the nation as a son.

Never in the Old Testament does God refer to an individual as His son. Even of two men who were outstanding, Moses and David, it was "Moses my servant" and "David my servant." Never does God say, "Moses my son" or "David my son." Individuals become sons of God through faith in Jesus Christ.

God is the Father of mankind in the sense that He is the Creator. This is something that has been greatly emphasized in our contemporary society, and I think properly so. On a telecast I heard a man, who was definitely an unsaved man, play up the fact that we are all human beings and that we ought to show respect and consideration for one another. Well, that is true. As far as he went, he was entirely accurate. You are a human being and I am a human being, and I should accord to you the same rights and privileges and respect that I would like to have for myself.

"Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us?" We all are the creation of God. "Why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?" Now here they were, a chosen people, yet breaking God's covenant and dealing treacherously one with the other. They were not right with God, and so they were not right with each other. This is certainly true of man in our day.

I personally have to say that there are a great many unsaved people that I wouldn't trust. And, unfortunately, having been in the church most of my life, I have to say that there are a lot in the church whom I would not trust either. I have no confidence in them at all. Why? They deal treacherously. There is nothing that hurts the cause of Christ more than a church fight, conflicts in the church, and leaders who are at each other's throats. Regardless of how evangelistic a church may be, its witness is nil when those conditions exist.
From Edited Messages on Malachi by J. Vernon McGee

the END

5 Comments:

  • J Vernon Mcgee is great. I encourage all of us to continue to listen closely to what he says. I believe him to be well rounded as he didn't get lost on defintions like many of us do but stuck to the word an out of his preaching came the full counsel of God.

    No one is perfect, but he did well.

    This is a good reminder here to always have in our hearts.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 1/01/2006 8:47 PM  

  • Great post.

    I love J. Vernon. Truly a man who was about the Word, I love how he preached through the Bible every 5 years! I think this is why he was "Well Rounded" like bhedr said, right on!

    By Blogger Nate, at 1/01/2006 10:48 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    Jesus came into the world, not to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many. I wonder how many of those conflicts would immediately dissipate if the participants reexamined their motives accordingly, in serving God first, but also in serving their fellow believers.

    Having said this, we must also accept that the understanding of a servant's attitude must be mutual: "let each esteem others over themselves," or it can even play into the hand of wickedness.

    True love does not rejoice in inquity but rejoices in the truth; it approves of the things that are excellent that it may be sincere and without offense until the Day of Christ.

    False teachers, on the other hand, actually use hypocritical call for 'love' to raise the stakes in the divisions they can bring (Jude 12, 19). This will always be painful, but sometimes there is a genuine cause for breaking fellowship, and our regrets must realistically allow for this possibility.

    Outside observers, especially other Christians, must acquaint themselves with the facts for the same reasons, before deciding whom to embrace when such things do occur. If not, the cycle will simply repeat itself.

    This, by the way, is the hardest situation that Christians are ever called upon to face, and it tells the tale of how committed they really are (2 Cor 2:9). It is by far the exception of the Christian life, but I daresay we'll all find ourselves in this situation one day along the way, beor Jesus comes.

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 1/01/2006 11:41 PM  

  • Wait a minute, you mean it doesn't say "they will know you by your sound theology" ????! ;-)

    By Blogger Kc, at 1/02/2006 8:55 AM  

  • Dyspraxic,
    I laughed when I opened the email notification of that comment. :~)

    Bhedr,
    Yes, he was a man of the Word.

    Nate,
    Thanks for stopping by! It is great how J.V. does the 5 year thing. I know I am getting old when I have a heard the same book of the Bible at least three times on the radio!

    Cleopas,
    Where is Loren? I miss Loren! Of course, if we were like Jesus, everything would be much better, as it will be someday when we are truly like Him. As to the latter part of your comment, it sounds like you have some personal experience with this. Thanks for your comment!

    kc,
    This must be the "delightfully enigmatic" commenting that I have heard about! Thanks for it!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 1/02/2006 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here