Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Monday, December 26, 2005

A Great Hymn of the Church

We sang this hymn in our service Christmas morning and it has been on my mind and lips ever sice ... so I thought I would share it with you. If you click on the link at the bottom you can hear the melody, if you don't already know it. Do you know this hymn?

One Day
(J. Wilbur Chapman)

One day when heaven was filled with His praises,
One day when sin was as black as could be,
Jesus came forth to be born of a virgin,
Dwelt among men, my Example is He!

Refrain:
Living, He loved me; dying, He saved me;
Buried He carried my sins far away;
Rising, He justified freely forever;
One day He's coming; O glorious day!

One day they led Him up Calvary's mountain,
One day they nailed Him to die on the tree;
Suffering anguish, despised and rejected:
Bearing our sins, my Redeemer is He!

One day they left Him alone in the garden,
One day He rested, from suffering free;
Angels came down o'er His tomb to keep vigil;
Hope of the hopeless, my Savior is He!

One day the grave could conceal Him no longer,
One day the stone rolled away from the door;
Then He arose, over death He had conquered;
Now is ascended, my Lord evermore!

One day the trumpet will sound for His coming,
One day the skies with His glories will shine;
Wonderful day, my belov'd ones bringing;
Glorious Savior, this Jesus is mine!

Click here if you want to hear the melody while you look at the lyics. A new window will pop up and you can minimize it.

The END

8 Comments:

  • Hi Rose,

    I don't recognize it but it sounds so familiar. I'm sure I've heard it before. Those really are the most beautiful lyrics.

    By Blogger Kc, at 12/27/2005 5:32 AM  

  • I do not know that, but the lyrics are great.

    God Bless

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 12/27/2005 5:41 AM  

  • This is one of my favorite hymns.
    I enjoyed singing it with your Church family Sunday.

    By Blogger Jeremy Weaver, at 12/27/2005 10:33 AM  

  • kc,
    I'm sure you probably have. I have heard it as long as I have been in the Baptist church, but, like so many great hymns, I never ever had a whiff of it whilst I grew up Catholic.

    Matthew,
    It is a great alternative to some of the Christmas Carols, is it not? It has a year-round message.

    Jeremy,
    One of your favorites? Now there is another reason that I am glad we sang it Sunday. It is great that you enjoyed singing it with us. I'll be thinking about your insight about us all worshipping together every Sunday. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 12/27/2005 1:41 PM  

  • Yes, It is a good hymn.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 12/27/2005 4:57 PM  

  • That is a great hymn which I, as a Southern Baptist, have sung for longer than I care to admit.

    I love its lyrics and theology.

    By Blogger Joe, at 12/27/2005 7:11 PM  

  • I LOVE that old hymn. Reminds me of country churches--you can just hear all the altos!!! My dad had several 33 1/3 records of hymns, gospel, etc. And this one was on one of those, I'm certain.

    Thanks for the memories, Rose.

    By Blogger Jeff H, at 12/29/2005 5:52 PM  

  • Bhedr, Joe and Jeff H,
    I'm glad we all agree that it is a great song. There are so many awesome old hymns. It makes me love church all the more.

    Good to see you Jeff.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 12/30/2005 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here