Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Monday, October 17, 2005

More Love to Jesus Christ

More Love to Thee (Philippians 1:9 & 10)
Author: Elizabeth P. Prentss 1818-1878
Composer: William H. Doane 1832-1915

More love to Thee, O Christ, more love to Thee!
Hear Thou the prayer I make on bended knee.
This is my earnest plea:
More love, O Christ, to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Once earthly joy I craved, sought peace and rest;

Now Thee alone I seek, give what is best.
This all my prayer shall be:
More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Then shall my latest breath whisper Thy praise;

This be the parting cry my heart shall raise;
This still its prayer shall be:
More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

We sang this hymn yesterday and I want to post it as a favorite. May the day never come when this is not my song. As an adopted child of God, I will never be put out of the Father's house. He will never put an ad in the paper "free to a good home" and cast me away. . . but that doesn't mean that I should neglect so great a salvation that has been given to me, that I currently posess, because of God's Grace! That doesn't mean that I should not desire greater fellowship with, and to please, my heavenly Father. I want to draw closer to Him every day - to love Him more. This is my prayer.

12 Comments:

  • Who wrote it?

    By Blogger Jeremy Weaver, at 10/17/2005 12:32 PM  

  • What do you mean, Jeremy ... it says right at the top of the post. ;~)

    No, really, thanks for bringing the oversight to my attention. BTW - I really wanted you, as one of my most respected bloggers, to comment on the previous post. Will you?

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/17/2005 1:03 PM  

  • I wish I loved Christ more than I do.

    God Bless

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 10/17/2005 3:56 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    It so often seems that we look at Jesus as the entrance, but once we've gone 'through the door' we move on to other 'things', of the 'Christian lifestyle'.

    Because this is so great a tendency, it must be a breath of fresh air to the Lord when someone stays thankful to Him, just for who Jesus is and what He has done.

    note to dyspraxic fundamentalist: what's holding you back? Draw close to Him, and He'll draw close to you. Be blessed.

    By Blogger loren, at 10/17/2005 4:34 PM  

  • Every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before.
    Every day with Jesus I love Him more and more.

    By Blogger Joe, at 10/17/2005 7:56 PM  

  • Dsypraxic,
    I think you possess the sentiment of the song ... the only difference I see is wish/prayer.

    Loren,
    We shouldn't need to move on to other things when we already have everything in Christ alone! Because of all His love that He's already given us, I want more love to Him in my heart. Thanks for your comments!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/17/2005 7:56 PM  

  • Joe,
    you are very poetic. Thanks for those thoughts.

    re: my former comment:
    even though we shouldn't "need to move on to other things when we already have everything in Christ alone", we know we have hearts that are prone to wander. Thanks be to God that the salvation He has won for us doesn't rest on our faithfulness, but on His. (Just wanted to make sure I don't give the impression that there is no struggle with distractions in my life, because there is. Hence...the song.)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/18/2005 10:15 AM  

  • Yes, certainly, I pray that I will love Christ more. But what does it mean to love Christ truly?

    I am thankful to Him for saving me. I praise Him for His might works and the greatness of His everlasting Kingdom.

    I seek to keep His commandments and in my failure to do this I show my lack of love. But I still worship Him for His certain acceptance of me despite my failings.

    But I feel uncomfortable saying I truly love Christ. It seems rather glib for me to say I love Christ.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 10/18/2005 5:29 PM  

  • I am certain of Christ's love for me and of the Father's acceptance of me through Christ. But I am not certain that I truly love Christ.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 10/18/2005 5:31 PM  

  • Dyspraxic,
    I think it is quite honest to say what you have said. Our love certainly seems pale in comparison with so great a love as has been shown to us. That is why I like the song ... my point exactly ... praying that God would help me to love Him. This is the cry of a person who feels like you do, I think, from what you have said. We should be careful to recognize our shortcomings and not to boast of our great love and devotion. Humility is what I hear. No person should think more of himself than he ought.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/18/2005 8:37 PM  

  • Thanks for the encouragement.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 10/19/2005 3:17 AM  

  • Rose,

    I was going to comment earlier. Excellent blog, excellent comments. Your looking to Christ and relying on him is the very heart of the gospel, all else stems from this. Thanks for your thoughts.

    By Blogger Earl Flask, at 10/19/2005 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here