Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Friday, October 07, 2005

Religion as an Industry and Other Blogger Profile Curiosities ...

I filled out my blogger profile last week. When I saw the word “industry”, I thought of this definition: manufacturing productive enterprises collectively as distinguished from agriculture. I work in a church, so I felt I should enter "religion." How is religion an industry? Couldn't blogger have chosen a better, more inclusive term? Why not "field" or "profession"… hmmm….

And why does it say how many profile views one has had? Does the largeness of the number equate with your success as a blogger? Maybe it just shows how weird people think your comments are … I don’t know… that’s a real headscratcher.

I went to that Pyromaniac’s blog this week and I found the debate quite riveting. However, being into visuals like I am, I could not help but notice some of the strange photos people choose to define themselves (or not to define?). The following are some pictures that bloggers (who commented on that Pyro post) have chosen to represent themselves. (I just put a picture of myself ... is that too simple? )


I have one word for this guy: WHY?



This person must be, I think, suffering from a bit of low self esteem.



This person, on the other hand, thinks too much of himself, I'm afraid!



This one is just plain WRONG!!!!


Here's another thing to ponder out here in the blogosphere: (For right now, I'll leave the deep things for Mr. Contender and his ilk.) What kind of a person uses the blogger profile question to decide on a theme for a special photo-shoot?! There is something spontaneously quirky about that.

The spookiest person (not!) was the one that appeared a few months ago over at Mullin's Musings . . . Why bother??!!

What a World!

(I don't know anything about the bloggers whose icons I used here ... I just think their icons are FUNNY! ... this was all in fun ... I hope it is understood ... "no offense intended")

16 Comments:

  • I have been reading Pyromaniac for quite a while, and I have always wondered the same thing about those commenters. Only I have not had the courage to say anything about it.

    That was great...only I would keep my eye out for the blogger mafia. They might be after you now.

    Great post!

    Really made me laugh!

    By Blogger Joe, at 10/08/2005 10:22 AM  

  • Hi Rose,

    I've wondered about those too. I think a great picture carries a 'persona' that the individual wishes to portray about themselves. But I think (in a prejudging sort of way) the same persona can become a 'filter' for how seriously we take their thoughts.

    My picture is very simplistic. My wife wanted me to grow a mustache and goatee, and so I changed my picture to show it. It's actually the picture form my driver's license, which was the only recent picture I had.

    By the way, when I was single I used to have a full beard, but I shaved it off. I needed a change. It was either that or re-arrange the furniture.

    By Blogger loren, at 10/08/2005 1:15 PM  

  • Joe,
    What is the blogger mafia? Should I power down my computer now? Thanks for laughing ... humor is an important part of life, I think.
    Loren, my thoughts exactly about the "filter" - but I enjoy the humorous quirk of the fork guy.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/08/2005 6:35 PM  

  • Very funny, Rose!

    By Blogger Sled Dog, at 10/08/2005 10:06 PM  

  • Heh heh, does Joe consider himself the Blogger Mafia or something? Perhaps I should be afraid...

    By Blogger Nettie, at 10/08/2005 10:14 PM  

  • Thought I would come by a comment again, you know, to make you feel better.

    Is it working?

    By Blogger Joe, at 10/08/2005 10:53 PM  

  • Joe,
    you are such a considerate soul, now I understand why you are SO POPULAR!

    Nettie,
    For this reason, I don't think Joe could possibly be the blogger mafia.

    Sled dog,
    You must not be the blogger mafia, either. Thanks for joining the fun, and hold your head up high as you press on! Mush, mush!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/09/2005 2:19 PM  

  • For your next post: Just who IS the blogger mafia. Secrets revealed.

    By Blogger Joe, at 10/09/2005 4:48 PM  

  • Hi, found my way here from both Joe's Jottings and By His Grace Alone.

    I guess since I don't use a profile pic (I'm thinking I might see if I can find one to use) I am remaining mysterious? LOL...either that or I'm really ugly and don't want to scare people away cause then they'd not visit my blog...lol

    By Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie, at 10/09/2005 6:39 PM  

  • I'm the Blogger Godfather.

    Nice work, Rose.

    By Blogger Jeff H, at 10/09/2005 9:33 PM  

  • I miss the prophet.... To me it was very interesting conversation

    By Blogger Shawn, at 10/09/2005 10:04 PM  

  • Joe, I wouldn't know where to begin in identifying that group . . . but wait . . . I have found the Godfather!

    Shelley, thanks for coming over, I will be sure to read your blog. Mysterious can be good.

    Jeff, thanks for the commentpliment (like my new word?)

    Shawn, I remember your conversations with "the Prophet" and I am surprised you recall it with any fondness! That just shows what a kind, patient person you must be.

    Is my head (the picture of it) really too big???

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/09/2005 10:29 PM  

  • yYou can imagine my surprise when the first question I was asked for my profile dealt with sliverwear. My wife ducked and covered in full fifties fall-out fashion at the roaring chuckle I belted in seeing that.

    Thanks for taking the time to read my profile - I didn't know anyone did!

    By Blogger Sharad Yadav, at 10/10/2005 1:34 AM  

  • Rose,

    I guess I don't miss his arrogant unbiblical attitude toward the lost and other believers, but enjoyed trying to defend biblical christianity. I personally was hoping that he would be convinced of the bible. I personally didn't think he had many things to stand upon in some of his reasoning. He thought that because he kept from watching tv and buying clothes that he was kept from worldliness and sinfulness. I personally believe that we are all by nature sinners and that sin is part of our flesh and taking what comes from outside of us out the picture will not change our hearts which are hopelessly in need of a savior.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 10/10/2005 9:54 AM  

  • Rose~
    Don't you think you're putting your family at risk? Not only the Blogger Mafia, Blogger Godfather, but now those who would "kill with kindness" like our dear brother Shawn Lynes ( :) bless you brother)
    Rose, thanks for adding fun to my blog life!

    John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 10/10/2005 10:35 AM  

  • Blueraja,
    Thanks for stopping by and I assure you, your profile has been viewed many times! (your small picture/icon gives the impression of a swami or something like that and so curious minds are drawn to go to the profile and enlarge the pic, I think ... that was my case anyways).

    Shawn, I couldn't have said it better!

    John, don't worry, be happy!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/10/2005 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here