Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Something I have been working on

Every year our church gives a great gift to this community here in Northwest Ohio and Southeastern Michigan (Toledo area). We present our annual Christmas Musicale. This is something that our choir starts practicing for in August. We begin construction on the sets in our auditorium in November. It is really quite enjoyable for those of us who believe that Jesus was the Messiah and know Him as our Savior.

I know from talking to people that I have invited, that it is also enjoyable for those who are not in the camp of Christ because of the sheer beauty of the music. We have a large choir with excellent solo vocalists, duets, ensembles and a full orchestra made up of volunteers from our own congregation. (I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging).

More importantly, our pastor will preach a message that is aimed at those who may come because of the season, but who have never been born-again, that they might hear the message of salvation and respond. Actually, my brother started coming to this church last January after coming to the Christmas Musicale ... and wanting to hear more. He became saved sometime since then.

I have the privilege of designing the mailer that goes out to invite those in our community to come. (I enhanced some clip art for the manger scene - not my own drawing.) We have a large mailing list (I don't really know where all the names come from - not my department.) They have to buy a ticket for $2 because that makes it seem more valuable ... they commit to coming if they pay some money, no matter how small. I just printed 4500 of these on our color copier last week. (I work there part time.) If any of you have people in this area that you wish to receive this, email me their address and I will send it to them - it is a tri-fold brochure, taped shut with the address and stamp on the back, no envelope.





I love my church!!! Sometime I will do a post on all the years I was a Christian and didn't go to church because a curmudgeon brother in Christ convinced me there was no church good enough, even though this wonderful congregation was right around the corner!

5 Comments:

  • Steve Green is awesome! I wish your church wasn't five hundred miles away!

    By Blogger Jeremy Weaver, at 10/06/2005 9:41 PM  

  • Steve is a wonderful minister ... far more than a singer! (He's come to our church twice before.) I have 8 seats in the second row (we who work at the church get first pick...hahaha)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/06/2005 9:59 PM  

  • Rose~ Good post! I like the mailer too.

    Jeremy~ Steve Green is awesome, wish you could be here with us.

    delighting in the Savior,
    John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 10/06/2005 10:23 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    I like the idea of the concert, and your mailer looks especially good! The wheather here jturned really cool, so it's put me in the holiday mood.

    When I lived in Lubbock we had a yearly event called the Carol of Lights, at the Texas Tech campus. I made up a flier to look like the event brochure, but it was really a salvation tract. It explained the symbolism of Christmas in ways that pointed to the gospel. Anyway, your story reminded me of those days.

    By Blogger loren, at 10/06/2005 11:26 PM  

  • Wow Steve Green. I wanted to get Steve Camp at my church but there seemed to be little interest, since probably they don't read things from him like every other day like me

    By Blogger Shawn, at 10/07/2005 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here