Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Words to Live By

1 My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, 2 for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. 3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. (Proverbs 3)


Being faithful and loving to God and those whom God has put in our lives is key to having favor with God and being a wise person. (v3) On the other hand, (v7) being wise in our own eyes and clinging to a 'knowledge' of that which God has given us no right to... makes us like fools.

I was pondering this passage today and couldn't help but think of the many fights people engage in over questions which are unanswerable. Doggedly fighting over such things that the Bible never makes clear lends itself to foolish behavior. Proverbs is a great book for those who want to avoid being a fool.

7 Comments:

  • I love that scripture Rose! I love engaging in spirited debate over those "things that the Bible never makes clear" but I so agree that the debate so often degenertes into foolish chatterings.. not that you or I would engage in such chatterings :)

    By Blogger kc bob, at 10/14/2008 3:12 PM  

  • Rose,

    I love that stuff! The best case I know for the sufficiency of Scripture for everyday life is to just study Proverbs for a month or two -- if that doesn't convince someone, I don't know what would.

    Conversely, because we tend to ignore Proverbs, we wind up holding Scripture in contempt, or trying to dream up far-flung "applications" -- when all along, they're right there in the text.

    His,
    Tim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2008 1:06 AM  

  • The problem is deciding what things the Bible does or does not make clear. We can argue as to what goes on to that list.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 10/15/2008 3:53 AM  

  • Hello Bob,
    Yeah, I've been a part of this stuff and I probably will again, but with God's help... less and less.

    And BTW - I wasn't even thinking of Calvinism when I made this post. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/15/2008 11:20 AM  

  • Hello Tim! Welcome to my blog! You misspelled your name! :~)

    Tim, it is so interesting that you commented on this post.
    I did not know you ever visited my blog, first of all. Secondly, I was actually thinking of a quote from one of your links in this article when I made this post! :~)

    Take a look at that red carpet. :~)
    Thanks for visiting.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/15/2008 11:24 AM  

  • Matthew,
    Hello :~)
    Was that a comment to me about my post... or a comment to Tim about his comment?

    Did you remove your shoes? ;~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/15/2008 11:25 AM  

  • 'Was that a comment to me about my post...'

    Yes. I think this is the problem with wanting to avoid uncertain questions. Which questions are uncertain?

    'Did you remove your shoes?'

    Is that the rule round here?

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 10/15/2008 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here