Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Friday, May 30, 2008

Higher Ground

The refrain of this hymn always comes to mind when I am struggling with fleshly thoughts and the trouble of sin. I can remember several times singing it in church with tears welling up in my eyes. It was in my mind on my walk today. It is really a great hymn.

Higher Ground
A Hymn by John­son Oat­man, Jr

I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I’m onward bound,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

Refrain
Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith, on Heaven’s table land,
A higher plane than I have found;
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.


My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where those abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.

I want to live above the world,
Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound,
The song of saints on higher ground.

I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray till Heav’n I’ve found,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

5 Comments:

  • Thanks Sis. Another fav and prayer of mine.

    By Blogger Kc, at 5/30/2008 6:13 PM  

  • We just sang that hymn this morning!

    By Blogger Jim, at 6/01/2008 9:05 PM  

  • I love it that worship can bring heaven to earth. I had a similar experience last summer, when my wife was hospitalized for the month of August, when I sang It is Well with My Soul.. it almost seemed like a form of spiritual warfare (or something like it).. in any case it did something to me on the inside.. it was moving and tranformtional.

    Thanks for sharing this Rose.

    Blessings, Bob

    By Blogger kc bob, at 6/02/2008 7:57 AM  

  • I am glad you guys appreciate it.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 6/07/2008 1:39 PM  

  • Hi, Rose, for me that song is "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." For years I haven't been able to sing the lines "Prone to wander, Lord I feel it/Prone to leave the God I love" without my eyes at least getting a little moist and my throat tightening up. Seal my heart, O God!

    And "It is Well with My Soul" is my favorite hymn, without a doubt. I love a lot of the modern praise songs too, but I don't think they will ever quite match the...depth? if that's the right word...of these hymns.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/14/2008 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here