Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Great Hymn!

We sang this hymn in church today. I had forgotten about it, it had been so long since we sang it. What a joy to sing about His gracious plan. Do you know this song? It is not on Cyberhymnal; I was so surprised. I think it was written in 1945.

My Hope Is In The Lord
by Norman J. Clayton

My hope is in the Lord, who gave Himself for me.
And paid the price of all my sins at Calvary.
For me He died, for me He lives,
And everlasting light and life He freely gives.

No merit of my own, His anger to suppress,
My only hope is found in Jesus' righteousness.
For me He died, for me He lives,
And everlasting light and life He freely gives.

And now for me He stands, before the Father's throne,
He shows His wounded hands, & names me as His own.
For me He died, for me He lives,
And everlasting light and life He freely gives.

His grace has planned it all, 'tis mine but to believe,
And recognize His work of love, and Christ receive
For me He died, for me He lives,
And everlasting light and life He freely gives.

9 Comments:

  • Yes! I love that hymn!!!

    I love hymns. I am glad you and John love hymns. I want to be singing hymns when I die. I pray I get that chance.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 11/26/2006 3:08 PM  

  • Brian, I do love hynms. They excite me. I know this is a matter of personal preference and I don't mean to deride anyone who likes choruses, but ... choruses generally cause me to feel a little tired. I like the words to many of them, but some of them where it is just one sentence repeated over and over ... well, I start to feel "yawnish."

    I really wish we would always sing more hymns!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 11/26/2006 4:16 PM  

  • Amen...although I do like some of the Maranatha choruses from Calvary Chapel of years gone by. Songs like seek ye first and all.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 11/27/2006 7:55 PM  

  • Of course a lot of that is repeated Scripture:-)

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 11/27/2006 7:57 PM  

  • Our conscripted Bible college choir sang it over 20 years ago. We practiced it for months and months and never grew weary with it ... which could not be said of some of the other pieces. It was a great hymn - not something you can say for any modern piece.

    By Blogger Colin Maxwell, at 11/29/2006 6:25 AM  

  • goodnightsafehome,
    Your "name" rings a bell. Have I seen you at Phil Johnson's blog? I looked at your profile. My pastor, who is from Ireland (his wife is from Scotland) talks about the Scots Irish a lot. He speaks of them as very influential in American Christian history.

    I am glad you see the beauty of this hymn. It is a great one!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 11/29/2006 12:23 PM  

  • Hi Rose~
    It sure was sure nice singing this between you and Elliot. I find it all together lovely how he sings right out with such a strong voice.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 11/29/2006 6:01 PM  

  • Rose, After I commented, I looked at the rest of your reasonings, and I saw that Philip De Courcey is your pastor. I know him from Belfast and his wife June. (June came to my Bible College the year after I left, but she would have studied with my wife, Olive)

    I really like the whole Scots Irish thing (hence the flags) It is an interesting medium too through which to study the providence of God. Many of those early pioneers were God fearing Christians - Presbyterians etc., who had been persecuted in Scotland and then Ulster and going to America in search of freedom etc., It can be a bit blood tingling at times.

    I love Phil Johnstone's page too. Nice and gritty at times, but not nasty. A bit like the Ulstermen (I hope)

    I trust all goes well with the new baby. We have a 4 year old, born when my wife was over the 40 year mark. It was the best thing ever happened us - well, you know what I mean.

    Give our love and regards to Philip and June.

    By Blogger Colin Maxwell, at 11/30/2006 2:00 AM  

  • Yes, John. I like having the boy in church with us.

    goodnightsafehome,
    What a small world! I will tell PD you say hello.

    Thank you for your encouragement.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 11/30/2006 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here