Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Saturday, May 19, 2007

What is Wrong with the Church?

I had this comment in my posts as a draft from a long time ago. I don't remember what post it was from, but I obviously thought a lot of it to save it as a post draft. It is some really good insight. I think Jim is right on!

Jim said...
... All this talk of false converts and false faith and spiritual defectors is not really healthy. This problem is largely due to the poor spiritual quality of many churches today, but should not be used to interpret the NT writings. The NT church did not simply consist of a preacher and a congregation meeting for one hour a week, but was a dynamic and life changing experience in which mutual fellowship, exhortation, and care were expressed by all the body one for another. At least, that was the expected norm. Anything else was considered inferior and Paul and James both addressed carnal attitudes in the believers lives. Sadly today, we do not experience the reality of that NT church life and therefore many members do not build their faith but remain spiritual babes tossed to and fro by every wind of debate and heresy in the church. That is the reason for all this second guessing and great introspection regarding saving faith.

9 Comments:

  • Great quote Sis.

    I think Jim is one of our wiser bloggers. ;-)

    By Blogger Kc, at 5/19/2007 10:49 AM  

  • Hi Rose,
    I think our churches would be much stronger if biblical church was practiced as in Bob Bryants and Zane Hodges churches,,,blessings alvin
    http://www.faithalone.org/news/y2000/bryant2.html

    http://www.faithalone.org/news/y2000/bryant2.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/20/2007 5:19 PM  

  • Alvin -

    AMEN!

    By Blogger Jon Lee, at 5/20/2007 8:02 PM  

  • Wow. That is right on target, bro. Jim, & sister Rose! So good. He is so right about all the talk about false professions being unhealthy. There is an amazing lack of that type of teaching in the NT, that is so true. Great insight on the nature of the NTY church as well. So refreshing. Thanks sister forbringing it back to us.
    Bro. Alvin, you are on the money as well!

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at 5/20/2007 10:19 PM  

  • Hi KC!
    Yes, I agree about Jim. It is always nice to see him out and about.

    Alvin,
    How do you know about those churches you mentioned? Do you fellowship in one of them? Hey, thinks for visiting.

    Jon Lee,
    You have not followed my rules. Look at rule #1 in my sidebar.
    ;~)

    Hello, David,
    I really think it is unhealthy, just like I think that pushing the doctrines of TULIP is very unhealthy. We all need to focus on the completed work of Chrsit and His sufficiency to save any and all who come to him in faith. It is finished ... He has done it!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 5/21/2007 9:59 AM  

  • What is wrong with the Church?

    The way some Christians dress.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 5/21/2007 11:52 AM  

  • Hi Rose,
    I listened to Bob Bryant’s tapes from the GES conference over and over and studied it out in scripture and became convinced that it was biblical. So I brought them to my Free-Gace church pastor to listen to. But he didn't agree. He more or less said that was for then but not for now. He said then they were sharing all things. But then to my suprise they started doing it on Sunday evenings and it was great. They didn't implement it completely with prayer time, but the men were leading the bible study. The men were having to be the spiritual leaders. Then after a couple months they decided to stop doing it, and the last I heard it was still on the table. I was really disappointed. I remember one of the older ladies of the church saying how wonderful it was.
    My pastor also believes that believing in eternal security is an option not a necessity. My church has been a big disappointment to me,,,alvin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/22/2007 12:25 AM  

  • Amen Rose, on your post concerning the TULIP vs. the finished work of Christ!

    Actually, top answer the question in the title of this thread, I can answer it in one word: ME!

    But thank the Lord for His grace & Mercy!

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at 6/02/2007 4:52 PM  

  • Ooops, that should have been ..."TO answer the question..."

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at 6/02/2007 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here