Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Monday, November 14, 2005

Wow! & Dr. Brown from Cedarville University

Yesterday in our morning service, we sang this song as a congregation. A flutist played a few notes in-between stanzas. It has a very celtic feel to it, which is probably one reason why my pastor loves it so much - that, and he said he loves it because it is rich in doctrine. I love this song and find it so very moving. Praise the Lord!

In Christ Alone (Stuart Townend, Keith Getty)

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My comforter, my all in all
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
'Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final death
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
'Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

My favorite phrase in the new Testament is "in Christ". No wonder my heart sings when I hear or think about this song ... it contains the same phrase.

We had a special speaker also. The president of Cedarville University, Dr. William Brown gave a really incredible presentation: "Engaging the Culture with the Mind of Christ." He based his presentation on this passage:

To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. (1 Corinthians 9:21-23)

He talked about knowing our culture so we can speak to those in it. He encouraged us not to assimilate or withdraw, but to engage. This guy was very interesting. He knows lyrics to many popular artists, so he can speak to youth on their level and "build a bridge to Christ." He talked about how Paul used this method when he went to Athens (Acts 17:22-24) and spoke to those idolaters about the altar to the "unkown God" that was among the idols there. He pointed out that if Paul had just started speaking to them about the Bible, they wouldn't know what he was talking about. Paul brought up Christ by using something in their own culture.

Side note: Paul speaks of "winning" people. I wonder if Paul was a Calvinist ... oh, never mind.


12 Comments:

  • Great song and I don't think that Paul was Calvinist.. Funny

    By Blogger forgiven, at 11/14/2005 10:01 AM  

  • I do know that song. I am not a big fan, I tend to dislike Celtic sounding hymns.
    Good thoughts on engagement with the world. I think different people mean different hings by that term.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 11/14/2005 10:30 AM  

  • Hey, we sang that one yesterday too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/14/2005 12:16 PM  

  • I, too, love this song. But,according to the way we sing it (and the lyrics I looked up online) the first line says "my hope is found" not "my heart is found."

    By Blogger Zoanna, at 11/14/2005 1:34 PM  

  • Oh, and I think to "win people" is to be winsome, to be able to move in their circles with grace and humility , not stuffy pride. Paul could have shown off his knowledge and eloquence at every opportunity, but the illiterate pagans wouldn't have listened. He could have feigned ignorance of the law to the younger Pharisees who might not have heard of him (though that's doubtful, since he was Hebrew of the Hebrews) but that would dismissed him in a puff.

    I love that Jesus was a party guy. His first miracle was at a celebration. People loved to be around Him. Prostitutes like Mary M,the Samaritan woman, and the adulterous women about to be stoned for her actions, found nothing but forgiveness and compassion for them. At the same time, He spoke like no rabbi before Him ever had. That amazes me. Jesus was the most winsome person who ever lived.

    By Blogger Zoanna, at 11/14/2005 1:48 PM  

  • Zoanna, I also found it online and thought the first line sounded wrong. I must have found an innacurate copy of the song. Anyways, thanks and I like your other comments, too. Very insightful.

    Forgiven, thanks for laughing with me.

    Matthew, (aka Dyspraxic), my Pastor is from Belfast, Ireland and his wife from Scotland. I figured you British would share some of the same tastes. Maybe you SHOULD move to the U.S.

    mas,
    Thanks for coming over today!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 11/14/2005 2:17 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    'In Christ' is my favorite phrase in Scripture also. I even have a 'spiritual test' that's based on it -- it's in one of my earlier postings.

    When we see those words, the passage is speaking, first and foremost, of Christ Himself. It introduces a truth that pertains to us as we abide in Him.

    This can make all the difference in the world, between a religion and a relationship, between knowing Him and only knowing about Him, between a 'system' and a savior.

    Can hardly wait to read your next article.

    By Blogger loren, at 11/14/2005 2:27 PM  

  • They do like Celtic stuff in English Churches, Charismatic and Reformed both, though in different ways.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 11/14/2005 2:44 PM  

  • Rose,
    wasn't Dr. Brown Challenging? I especially liked how he encouraged us to pray for those in the entertainment industry.

    Many years ago I heard and saw a multi-media presentation called "An Assault on America" presented by Sketch Erickson. I made a promise to God that night... "Lord I promise You this... I will NEVER join a Baptist church! However, if I do join a Baptist church, it wont be THIS ONE (referring to Emmanuel Baptist Church in Toledo)!!!

    God has a way of changing our hearts and minds. A short time after I joined EBC, I spoke to Sketch on the phone. When I told him the story, we had a good laugh and thanked God who sways the hearts of men. BTW there were many at that time who were praying for me. We need to pray that God would draw others to Him too.

    brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 11/14/2005 6:03 PM  

  • Rose,

    Your posting on Dr. Brown is encouraging (althogh dated). My son has been accepted at Cedarville University and being from the Independent Church of Christ/Christan Church, I was concerned about hyper-Calvanism (the full TULIP) being taught there. it seems Cedarville has some acceptance to us having a free-will to make the wise choice to surrender to Christ. I believe God to be sovereign with His Spirit working primarily through His Word but can also work additionally through prayer, circumstances and situations to accomplish His will. I am strongly opposed to Calvanism. I know we are depraved 'T' but not to the point that we can't respond to the wooing of the Holy Spirit. Have Ibdependent Baptist friends that I have discussions with and I still have trouble accepting 'P'. This post has given me some comfort.

    Thsnks for shsring this.

    -Ron R. 5/9

    By Anonymous Ron Ripperger, at 5/09/2009 12:16 AM  

  • Ron,
    Thanks for visiting and for reading this old post. Over the years I have known several young people from our church that have gone to Cedarville. I don't know much about thier views on Calvinism? Dr. Brown made a compelling presentation about engaging the culture, but I don't remember really drawing any inferences about his Calvinst leanings or non-leanings. I think my lil' comment at the end of the post was just an afterthought. :~)

    God bless you as continue to study.
    Thanks for visiting!!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 5/09/2009 8:18 AM  

  • Rose, I was told Cedarville is more Calvanistic by a Independent Baptist pastor (TP) and an alumni I know. I am told they teach multiple TULIP views but do not insist the students accept a specific one..

    Not too long ago, Cedarville was very closely aligned to the Regular Baptists who still follow the Phildelphia Confession of Faith.

    The fact Dr. Brown used the scripture from 1 Cor 9 that included :

    "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some."

    Made me think he was not a hyper-Calvanist. Why would a 4 or 5 point calvanist would go through such effort to become all things to all people that some may be saved?

    Calvanist outreach is done because God commands it. I would think to a calvanist,the only efficacy in doing so would they would come to the Lord sooner than they were predestined to??? I don't know...

    By Anonymous Ron Ripperger, at 5/09/2009 11:35 PM  



<< Home

 

Who Links Here