Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Monday, July 02, 2007

Christianspeak - "a God"

I noticed a series over on my old friend, Jeremy Weaver's blog:
Doxoblogy: Evangelical Jargon

I decided to start a series here. I will post odd things that Christians say with an emphasis on that which just isn't right. My first entry is below:

"a God"

"We serve a God who is holy and undefiled by sin"
"You are a God who searches the minds and hearts of man"
"This is a God who ______________ (fill in the blank)"

Does anyone else hear this kind of talk from Christians when praying or teaching? Since when is our Lord "a" God? I know we mean it with a capital "G" ... but ... isn't using the indefinite article all wrong ... when referring to THE Creator?

I think we should say "the" God when we talk about HIM.

8 Comments:

  • I did notice that in Paslms and Kings, and even in Isaiah, that the writers use the the type of phrasing that I refer to.

    Note what the LORD says in Isaiah 44:8:

    Is there a God besides Me?

    The answer is NO. Praise the THE ONE and ONLY!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 7/02/2007 7:48 AM  

  • Well it is common parlance to say such things.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 7/02/2007 9:04 AM  

  • Apparently it's common to use the indefinite article to stress the character of the noun rather than the identity. So I think it's OK when the stress is placed on the noun rather than the article. I can see your point though.

    By Blogger Andrew McNeill, at 7/02/2007 10:10 AM  

  • Hello Dyspraxic Fundamentalist,
    "Common parlance" - OK, but is it the best way to refer to the LORD? not.

    Andrew,
    Well at least you can see my point. OK, you Brits are making me fell like my first entry in my new series is a flop. I think I will just take my ball and go home.

    Just kiddin. Thanks for saying that you get my point, Andrew. That means a lot.

    Peace, brothers!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 7/02/2007 2:54 PM  

  • *said with a faux British accent*

    By Blogger Rose~, at 7/02/2007 2:55 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    I think the a by us is bad. It reduces His diety. I'm going from memory here but the Jehovah's Witnesses change John 1:1 by adding a so that the end reads and the Word was a god.

    By Blogger mas, at 7/02/2007 4:20 PM  

  • Well thank you mas! How have you been?

    By Blogger Rose~, at 7/02/2007 4:49 PM  

  • Hi Rose~
    Good thoughts.

    You may be starting a revolution.

    John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 7/03/2007 6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here