Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Irresistible Drawing

I need a new "pet containment" system for my dog. The current system we have, an invisible fence, does two things. Our dog wears an electronic collar that gives a warning when the dog gets too close to the boundary and it gives correction (shock!) when she tries to go over the boundary. A smug Rose Cole told you a few weeks ago how our dog responded to the training right away ... she stayed far away from that boundary. Oh, we were home free ... no survey of our property, no split rail fence with chicken wire ... our dog was going nowhere.
Wrong! Unfortunately, she figured it out. I think she discovered that if she runs fast enough, it doesn't really hurt so bad. Now, when we let the dog out, we are never sure if she will run over to the neighbors, or not. We are not confident in our invisible fence and its "pet containment" ability.

I don't like chasing after the dog ... following her... trying to remain calm ... trying to get her to stop sniffing 2 houses down, so I can grab here and bring her back home ... coaxing ... calling ... pleading ... getting frustrated. I call out the word treat and that works only some of the time. Other times, I lower my voice as deep as I can (to try and emulate my husband) and scold the dog. This works sometimes as she will cower with her tail tucked in, but it is not fail-safe.

So I was thinking ... I want a different kind of a device. I want a collar that helps me once she runs away. I need something to bring the dog back home. I need a collar which has some kind of signal ... so that when I press it, she will be irresistibly drawn to come back home. I need more than correction for this dog, I need drawing ... "wooing" ability!

What does this have to do with TULIP? Well, probably not a lot ... but, the dog is food for a lot of thought here! (I'm working on the next post)

Does anybody know if there is such a device for my dog? Maybe I need to invent it ...

12 Comments:

  • I didn't mean to be irreverent.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 11/30/2005 12:01 PM  

  • Whats so irreverant about this post?

    I am afraid I cannot help you with this one. I know nothing about dogs or looking after them. I really dislike animals. I honestly cannot understand why anyone would want to keep animals. Sorry.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 11/30/2005 12:12 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    I've found that even a fence won't prevent their escape at times. You know it's their nature to roam.;-)

    An invention really is what's needed.

    By Blogger Kc, at 11/30/2005 1:28 PM  

  • Hi Rose

    Both her ears are down in the picture. Is she over her total depravity of a week or so ago? Though if she is then the irresistable grace invention probably won't work on her :)

    By Blogger mas, at 11/30/2005 1:57 PM  

  • mas,
    LOL! She has reversed her depravity, yes, and now her ears are being regenerated. No ... this is just an older picture from before the ear mutation manifested itself.

    Matthew, I am not surprised that you don't like animals in the house. I am also kind of a "clean freak" so it really took a lot of "sacrifice" for me to agree to get this dog. Thankfully, she became housebroken fairly quickly, but I'm not looking forward to the shedding that will take place next spring.

    kc,
    Thanks for visiting! Dogs ... maybe their tendency to roam is one reason why the pagans were called dogs in the OT.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 11/30/2005 2:24 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    So the dog figured it out. Doggone!

    Actually, God does have something similar for us, as you've wished to obtain for your dog. It is in this sense that Jesus is referred to as 'the Light of Life.'

    When we go astray, no matter where we go, the Light of Life is quality in Christ that shines out as a beacon, to draw us again and beckon us, and show us the way back home to Him.

    Try looking at Job 33:30 and John 8:12 in their contexts. It's an interesting insight.

    By Blogger loren, at 11/30/2005 11:11 PM  

  • How many people know that a choice is going to be painful... and yet figure if they keep the pace of their lives fast enough it may not hurt so bad.

    Then they start limping as they get older...

    By Blogger tonymyles, at 12/02/2005 1:36 AM  

  • Hi Tony,
    I am a little perplexed at your "parable". What are you trying to say? Thanks for visiting?

    By Blogger Rose~, at 12/02/2005 8:38 AM  

  • Rose-

    Tony is commenting on your paragraph about how the doggy gets a little shock if she gets too close to the boundary but has learned if she runs fast enough it doesn't hurt so bad, or so it seems. I don't quite understand how that leads to limping later. Perhaps thats a difference between the saved and unsaved. The saved respond to God's shock collar and the unsaved blithely keep running through the shock trying to ignore it. Somehow I think the unsaved will be wishing their only problem would be to be limping in eternity. That's my rambling thought, back to second grade reading.

    By Blogger mas, at 12/02/2005 10:47 AM  

  • Sorry...

    You said that you didn't know if there was anything in your post that had to do with TULIP. On my side of the fence (no pun intended), I saw an interesting analogy of how people who are stuck in sin try to increase the pace if their lives so as to not feel the pain of crossing over God's boundaries.

    If a dog keeps this up, he/she may develop physical pains later in life.

    If a person keeps this up, he/she may develop emotional and spiritual pains later in life.

    I'm not sure if that has anything to do with TULIP, either, but something in your post inspired me to think of this.

    Maybe I was predestined to...

    By Blogger tonymyles, at 12/02/2005 3:14 PM  

  • Tony,
    Thanks for your explanation, I am a little dense sometimes. I read your post about why you called your blog what you do and I think it is genius. I think I want to make such a shirt for myself!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 12/03/2005 8:55 AM  

  • Just wait... I'm sure some internet spam will soon come your way offering lots of cheap drugs, university diplomas, and DCMV t-shirts... most likely in the same email. :)

    By Blogger tonymyles, at 12/03/2005 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here