Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Sunday, May 28, 2006

What Weekend?

There is a house across the street from us which has been rented since this past Thanksgiving. The owners had to move to Naples, Florida because the guy is a builder. He specializes in mansion building and there weren’t any more calls for mansions around these parts after he finished his last job. They couldn’t sell their house in time for the move last June, so it sat empty with the real estate sign in the yard until about November. Then, apparently somewhat desperate for money to pay the mortgage, the owners rented to a guy that they had never met. The guy moved in and brought with him 11 kids, some of which are grandchildren. This is a four bedroom modest home, but very nice and had been very well kept. It even has a custom made white picket fence (the pickets are very unique).

There have been many strange happenings over at this house in the last 6 months. I couldn’t even begin to tell you how odd it has been. The renters are African-American Jehovah’s Witnesses. We haven’t really had a chance to get to know them … and I don’t hold out a lot of hope … because they have now been served two notices of eviction from the owner who lives in Florida. (That is because of the unseemly things of which I will spare the details).

Today, a teenage son came over to our yard as John was cutting garden beds and I was planting impatiens and asked if he could borrow a lighter. We gladly obliged. The young man promptly brought it back. A few minutes later, he came back over and asked to borrow the lighter again … apparently the grill had lost its fire. As he walked away, John said, “Happy Memorial Day weekend to you and your family.” The boy paused and said, “You too.” Then John asked him if the whole family were Jehovah’s Witnesses, to which the young man answered in the affirmative. John said kindly, “You all don’t celebrate Memorial Day weekend, then, do you?” The youngster, whose name is Preston, replied, “No … we have Barbeque Weekend.”

10 Comments:

  • I like that barbeque thing. Sounds good.

    Karen and I could have used your's and John's help today- cutting new flower beds and planting impatiens.

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 5/28/2006 10:36 PM  

  • Good morning, Rose~

    Barbecue weekend sounds fun.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 5/29/2006 3:43 AM  

  • Barbeque weekend? Oh my. That sounds to me like finding a way to celebrate a holiday without actually celebrating a holiday.

    By Blogger Angie, at 5/29/2006 8:46 AM  

  • Matthew,
    Do you know what "Memorial Day" is?

    IBEX,
    I was thinking the same thing. ... honoring the chicken and ribs.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 5/29/2006 9:17 AM  

  • "honoring the chicken and ribs."

    Sounds good to me!

    Let's eat!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 5/29/2006 10:34 AM  

  • Hi Rose,

    Matthew, memorial day is when we honor our service men who have given life and limb to protect our freedom

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 5/29/2006 10:36 AM  

  • Yes, I had gathered from visiting blogs recently. I did not know pre-blogging.

    Our memorial is in November (or is it October?).

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 5/29/2006 12:27 PM  

  • Matthew,
    I am glad you have gotten an education about yankland.

    Bluecollar,
    I imagine you as really liking chicken and ribs!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 5/30/2006 1:21 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    I wonder if you've studied anything about JW doctrine? I have a younger brother who is a JW so I've looked into it pretty thoroughly. Yes, they're hard to reach.

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 5/31/2006 8:32 AM  

  • Hi Loren,
    I know a little but not a lot.

    I had heard that they changed the first chapter of John's gospel to read "the Word was a god" ... instead of "the Word was God". I verified this with a Witness that used to visit me at my old house. I then asked her if we, who believed the Bible, were polytheists. She left shortly thereafter and never came back.

    Thanks for the visit!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 5/31/2006 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here