Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Theological Thoughts From My Five Year Old

My five year old is named Simon. He is quite funny and very interesting. One of my favorite things that he says is a word that he made up. Willn’t. That makes sense, doesn’t it? If a contraction is the marrying of two words like do + not = don’t … or … is + not = isn’t, then why is will + not = won’t? "Won't" doesn’t really make sense. Willn’t is really a much more logical contraction of will not. He has been saying this word since he was 3. I think it shows a level of genius. (But then I would think that, wouldn’t I?) I tell you all this by way of introduction to three things he said to me in the last couple of days that really got me thinking and thanking.

“Simon, aren’t my toes ugly looking?”
“Mom, did you know: if I we didn’t have a big toe, our whole body would fall over.” (Romans 12:4)

“Simon, you are the drool king.” (after he deposits a wet spot on his pillow)
“No, I would have to be drool, to be the drool king.”

Wow, think about the biblical accuracy of that in relation to Christ, the King. (Matthew 1)

“Mom, God doesn’t have a dad.”
“You’re right, Simon. God created everything and was alive before everything”
“Mom, I mean, Jesus didn’t have a dad.”
“Well, Simon, God was His Father. You’re right, he didn’t have a dad in the same way that you have a dad. Joseph was like a father to Him, but God was the real Father of Jesus. Isn’t that amazing?”
“Mom, Jesus IS God, so He didn’t really have a dad … because God is His father, and He is God.” (Philippians 2:6)

What a blessing this boy is to me.
the END

11 Comments:

  • aww...thats a cute little theologian you have there! when is he going to join the rest of the family and start blogging?

    By Blogger John, at 1/19/2006 1:34 PM  

  • I"m with John on that. Simon's logic is flawless!

    By Blogger Kc, at 1/19/2006 1:38 PM  

  • Out of the mouth of babes!

    That is a beautiful account!

    It is more than logic - it's revelation!

    21At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.

    Thank God for our children. They understand theology and the heart of the father better than us!

    Blessings Rose

    Simon

    By Blogger s, at 1/19/2006 4:48 PM  

  • John,
    LOL! Him blogging? I have a funny mental picture now. Thanks for stopping by.

    kc,
    Thanks! Your comments are always "delightfully enigmatic"! (per your comment two posts ago)

    Simon,
    I'm glad you read this post! I always think of my boy when I see you around the blogosphere. I'm pleased that you find the 'revelation' of this Simon so grand. Which particular one struck you? ... the one about the drool? If all, then I am so glad that you embrace Christ being God incarnate like the rest of us 'fundies'! Bless you too!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 1/19/2006 5:35 PM  

  • I never really know what to commnet when people post about their children. I suppose I get on a little better with children than I do with animals.

    Tell your son his thoughts are very SOUND.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 1/19/2006 6:11 PM  

  • Good stuff.

    But it'll really be impressive when he starts telling you how Melchizedek is an archetype of Christ as the High Priest.

    By Blogger Jeff H, at 1/19/2006 9:10 PM  

  • Kids are a blessing to us.

    Ours are grown and left the nest but they are always your babies..no matter how old.

    By Blogger bluhaze, at 1/20/2006 8:46 AM  

  • Hi Rose,

    Kids are like new Christians, and asked the most amazing questions that stump us all! They also make the most searching comments. I think they get it from Jesus (Luke 2:46-47)

    FYI, in old english, the word "will" was originally "woll". So the contraction "won't" was entirely proper. As the language evolved, "woll" became "will", but the contraction was pretty well entrenched in people's minds, and refused to change with it.

    So in a sense, "won't" had a father, but then it really didn't have a father, but had life in itself . . . hey, your kids have gotten us thinking, too!

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 1/20/2006 9:33 AM  

  • Matthew,
    I told my son that you said his thoughts were sound (although I don't know why you had to yell out the word SOUND) and he said "all my words make a sound." (!) See how much I get to smile?

    Bhedr,
    That is the beauty of it all.

    Jeff,
    Nice to see you around these parts. I think I will send him straight to seminary if he begins to expound on that passage. BTW, that was really cool how you linked to Bible Gateway there.

    Ambiance,
    No wonder you enjoy cooking (see my comment back to you on the last or before the last post).
    I imagine they will always be my babies. Parenting is a unique experience.

    Cleopas,
    Logging out of one identity and loggingback into another identity only takes a matter of seconds. John and I do it all the time on our shared home computer. I miss Loren!
    You have enlightened me about the word "won't". Thank you! Now it makes sense! How do you know all this? Are you a language expert? You have much untapped expertise?

    By Blogger Rose~, at 1/20/2006 11:03 AM  

  • If all, then I am so glad that you embrace Christ being God incarnate like the rest of us 'fundies'! Bless you too!

    Rose,

    I am very orthodox, just not fundamentalist!

    Well I do occasionally slip back into old fundie habits! ;-)!!

    blessings

    SImon

    By Blogger s, at 1/20/2006 1:17 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    Aw garsh, yer makin' me blush! I study all kinds of things, but the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 1/20/2006 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here