Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Saturday, September 13, 2008

They are not busy; they are busybodies

"I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drum all day..."
I don't know if anyone else will recognize that song from past decades. It reveals my increasing age that when I am thinking about an issue like laziness... such a song will invariably enter my mind... from FM radio of the past.

"There is this guy in my church. He says the Lord is coming back any day now. He quit his job and just wastes all his time now. He goes from house to house in our small town and bothers the people that are a part of my church. He is so gosspiy! He talks out of one side of his mouth about how the rapture is about to happen at any moment... but out of the other side of his mouth, he wants to dog my friend Jeff because he hasn't been coming to prayer meeting... and Sally because she wears too much make-up and is so 'worldly'. Oh and so many others! It has gotten really bad. He has run out of money and is now asking us for food. Others in the congregation are experiencing it too. He comes to all our houses asking us if he can eat meals with us. We have all tried to help him and invited him many times, but it is getting out of hand. He is causing trouble between people with his gossip. I think what my mother told me about idle hands is true. The more idle his hands, the busier his tongue has gotten. He gossips worse than a woman! I have had it. I don't know what to do. He is a brother in the Lord but this is ridiculous. He is a fanatic. While he waits for the rapture to happen "any minute," the rest of us are having to feed him while we listen to his rotten talk about the others in our congregation. He has us all on edge about what he is going to say next. My wife and I wonder what he has said about us to the others! Next thing he will lose his house and want to move in with one of us. What should we do?"

"Well, I think you should all tell him that unless he works, he is not welcome around any of you anymore. It may sound harsh, but this is the only way that he will see how terrible he is being. Do not welcome him in anymore until he repents of this lazy busy-body tact he has taken. He is a brother and so you should not treat as an enemy or anything as dramatic as that, but you should definitely not associate with him. It will be for his best. It is the only way that he will see his gross error in behaviour as he waits for the Lord's return, as I trust you all are doing."

"I was thinking about putting up fliers around town warning others of his poor character and his erroneous behavior."

"No, as I said, do not treat him as an enemy. He is not a teacher, either, so I don't think there is a big worry that others will be swayed to do what he is doing. But, separate yourself from him until he gets a job and stops gossiping!"

18 Comments:

  • Very good re-write, Rose! Is it a Rose-original or in the Message Bible or something like that?

    By Blogger Missy, at 9/13/2008 4:38 PM  

  • Rose,

    This article you share is right up the alley of the subject of the article I am working to soon publish.

    I believe Romans 14 was written just for this sort of brother (the one who unrighteously takes non-essential commandments or Christian traditions and unnecessarily causes trouble within the church).

    Thanks... Michele

    By Blogger Sanctification, at 9/13/2008 4:38 PM  

  • Hi Missy!
    Yeah, you figured it out - I was "commenting" on 2 Thessalonians 3, the end of the chapter.

    I wrote it myself, heehee.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/13/2008 5:47 PM  

  • Michelle,
    I will look at Romans 13. I am glad this rung a bell with you. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/13/2008 5:48 PM  

  • I just changed on word on it. I wonder if anyone will notice, haha.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/13/2008 6:07 PM  

  • 6 But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you; 8 nor did we eat anyone’s bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, 9 not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us.
    10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. 11 For we hear that there are some who walk among you in a disorderly manner, not working at all, but are busybodies. 12 Now those who are such we command and exhort through our Lord Jesus Christ that they work in quietness and eat their own bread.
    13 But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good. 14 And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15 Yet do not count him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.
    (2 Thessalonians 3)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/13/2008 6:14 PM  

  • John says I need to be clearer in answering your question about the Message. I have never read the Message (not that I would be against doing such discerningly) and no, this did not come from the Message. I made it up today. I was thinking about the passage for days, and reading a couple of commentaries on it. I was trying to make my own commentary on it in a different fashion than my normal "this is what it seems to be saying" approach to writing. So I imagined someone like Paul if he were in a modern setting talking with someone about such a person.

    I hope that it makes more sense now. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/13/2008 7:34 PM  

  • Hi Rose,
    When I read it, I thought about
    2 Thessalonians 3:10 and my
    next thought was "I wish our
    government knew about that verse!

    By Blogger Peggie, at 9/13/2008 7:56 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    Maybe if he were an A-Miill, he would not be so fanatical.

    I jest :o)

    P/s I am a non pre-trib fence sitter.

    By Blogger Colin Maxwell, at 9/14/2008 3:41 PM  

  • Hmmm: Like Peggy, the first verse that came to my mind was 2Th3:10 "For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

    Don't feed him and see if he goes away or repents.

    Oh, and I echo Peggy's remarks about the government.

    By Blogger Joe, at 9/14/2008 6:45 PM  

  • Peggie,
    Thanks for commenting. I think there is a place for public assistance but I think most of the time people are not working because they don't like the jobs that are available.

    Joe,
    I am glad that verse came to mind because I was kinda in a very loose way trying to paraphrase the context of it.

    Thanks!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/15/2008 6:14 PM  

  • Colin,
    You bring up an interesting question in my mind.
    Thessalonian letters were much about the "coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

    Chapter 2 has this to say:
    1Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers, 2not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report or letter supposed to have come from us, saying that the day of the Lord has already come.

    What do you think of, as an Ammillennialist, when the phrases "the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ" and "the day of the Lord" as mentioned in the book of nd Thess, come up?

    It obviously is an "event" from the way it is talked about here in this book. I am curious what 'event' fills that for you?

    Respectfully.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/15/2008 6:21 PM  

  • Good morning Rose,

    I cannot call myself an "A Millenialist" - I best desecribe myself as a good old fashioned fence sitter. As far as I know those who call themselves A Mills believe that the event is the physicial and personal coming again of Christ to earth as describedin 1 Thessalonians 4:17 etc.,

    Maybe Earl is an A Mill and could help you on this one?

    Regards,

    By Blogger Colin Maxwell, at 9/16/2008 1:48 AM  

  • Hi Rose!

    I giggled at the line, "He gossips worse than a woman!"

    By Blogger Daniel, at 9/16/2008 1:24 PM  

  • Missy and Rose,

    Today I begin with an introduction of the topic of "spiritual abuse." Tomorrow I will publish the first part of what this is and is not, and what it looks like.

    It fits well I think with busybodies, and those who cause division or ruin their brother by the way they handle their convictions.

    Tomorrow's post I have submitted to Antonio to be rebroadcast on the Unashamed blog, if he reads his email, and still thinks it's good enough and fits in.

    I hope it brings much gain, I am only afraid that with time there will be finger pointing, so I hope that won't happen.

    Thanks, Michele

    By Blogger Sanctification, at 9/17/2008 4:24 PM  

  • Hi Colin,

    As far as I know those who call themselves A Mills believe that the event is the physicial and personal coming again of Christ to earth as describedin 1 Thessalonians 4:17 etc.,

    I guess I would be wondering what could these Thess have been taught about the "return" that they were waiting for that would leave them to think it may had already happened? IOW, if they were waiting for the "eternal state" they had to know that hadn't occurred. SO they must have been thinking something else besides "Christ is going to return and usher in the eternal state and we missed it."

    It is an interesting discussion if we could have it.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/19/2008 8:08 AM  

  • Daniel,
    I love it that you giggled at my post. :~)

    Michelle,
    Thanks - I will be sure to have a look at it :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/19/2008 8:08 AM  

  • When I was reading some commentaries on 2 Thessalonians 3:6-15, I came across this note from J. Vernon McGee:

    People in the church ought to withdraw from troublemakers in the church. However, many people more or less court their favor, because they don't want those people to talk about them, knowing they have vicious tongues. But withdrawing from the gossips would be the best thing that could happen in many churches. ~J. Vernon McGee

    Rings true.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/22/2008 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here