Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Friday, October 13, 2006

A Little Booklet on Lordship Salvation
Part 1

Here is the first of 7 major points from Dr. MacArthur's book and Dr. Pickering's review and comments on these points. (See my October 12 post for background on what I am posting here.)

Dr. Earnest Pickering sums up one of MacArthur's points (large green italic #1) and offers comment: _______________________________________________________

1. An Attack upon Leading Dispensationalists.

MacArthur seems to believe that much of the fault in what he calls "easy believism" in gospel preaching can be laid at the feet of dispensational teachers such as Lewis Sperry Chafer, Charles Ryrie and others. He criticizes dispensationalists who teach that law and grace are mutually exclusive (p. 25). Dispensationalists have been responsible for the "error" of distinguishing between salvation and discipleship. One is somewhat aghast at the force of MacArthur's attack upon dispensationalists while at the same time claiming that he is a "traditional premillennial dispensationalist" (p. 25).

The reason that MacArthur takes this position toward dispensationalists is evident as one proceeds through the volume. Major sections of Scripture upon which he depends for support in his defense of "lordship salvation" would not be viewed by normal dis­pensationalists as applicable to the gospel and its presentation.
It seems evident that MacArthur's thought has been greatly influenced by Reformed thinkers, and the enthusiasm with which some of them have received this volume would tend to support this observation. We think he especially has been influenced by Martyn Lloyd-Jones, the famous English expositor, who has set forth many of the same thoughts now propounded by MacArthur.

Particular criticism is leveled at the strong distinctions made between the "age of law" and the "age of grace." "Actually, elements of both law and grace are part of the program of God in every dispensation" (p. 26). But here, we believe, MacArthur misses the point. Most dispensationalists never have said that there was no grace evident in the age (dispensation) of law. What they have taught is that the governing principle of life between the age of law and the age of grace is different. Nor does their teaching suggest that because the Christian is under grace he, therefore, has no controlling principles to his life and is free to do whatever he wishes. Dispensationalists have not been "anti-nomians" (as one of the Reformed scholars suggests whose endorsement appears upon the cover of this volume). The fact of the matter is that the law has been "done away" (II Cor. 3:11) and "abolished" (II Cor. 3:13). This point did not originate with Darby or Scofield. It was made by the apostle Paul.
_______________________________________________________

What do you think?
more to come ...

11 Comments:

  • Excellent stuff. That is really good.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 10/13/2006 2:20 PM  

  • Matthew,
    I am glad that you appreciated it.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/13/2006 3:19 PM  

  • Pickering - you agree with him.

    MacArthur - Pickering writes a book that assualts his teachings.

    Your current church - which one assumes you attend, agree with, and support- now pastored by an accolyte of MacArthur, a friend of MacArthur, and a 5 point tulip calvinist who supports lordship salvation.

    Any disconnect here?

    Any confusion?

    Any fence sitting?

    You are either, to be very reasonable, more in love with the physical components of your church or blind.

    Still confused . . .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/13/2006 8:56 PM  

  • Anonymous?
    You are back? Why don't you email me? rcole@ambt.net

    Yes, I have noticed the irony of this. We are listening very carefully and are not asleep, but why should I answer to you when you won't even use a name?

    You think what you like.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/14/2006 8:41 AM  

  • I'm thinking of who I know in Woodville, Ohio ...

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/14/2006 10:37 AM  

  • I am in the same position as Rose~, Anonymous.

    It is difficult and painful. I knew a couple in my church who had to put up with the Lordship teaching. They seem to have disappeared, though maybe they have gone back to their own country.

    But sometimes it is very difficult to find churches that have sound teaching.

    Good morning, Rose~.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 10/14/2006 11:59 AM  

  • Anonymous, why not be positive?

    Can you recommend anywhere near to Rose~ where she might feel more comfortable worshipping?

    Or do you think it is better to worship on your own if you cannot find a church that is consistently sound doctrinally?

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 10/14/2006 12:00 PM  

  • I do not feel that my church is not consistently sound doctrinally. Where have I ever said this?

    Our pastor is a friend of MacArthur, yes, but he does not preach Lordship salvation. I have not heard him say any of the things that would make my toes curl that I have heard other preachers say. One time he said something that upset me and it wasn't related to Lordship salvation, it was about faith being a gift or else we have reason to boast. That was one time ... and I have not heard him mention these things since.
    One can be a friend of someone (he and MacArthur) and not hold to their same views. Or ... one can hold to those views but not preach them from the pulpit. Either way, his position is one of those two I just mentioned. We do not get the Lordship teaching from his pulpit ministry.

    Anonymous does not come to Emmanuel, but is making many assumptions about it based on a couple of facts he or she knows.
    The teaching is fine at my church. Even the item anonymous pointed out from our website in this post was not completely out of the realm of my embrace. I just had one problem with it.
    There is no one I or my husband am going to agree with all of the time. Even Dr. Pickering was a Calvinist and I loved him, non-Calvinist that I am. In fact my husband is a shade of Calvinist. haha

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/14/2006 5:36 PM  

  • My pastor, Erwin Lutzer, is also a friend of MacArthur, but doesn't teach the ideas he has propounded.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/17/2006 12:59 PM  

  • Yes, I think that perhaps Ph. DeCourcy is such a man too.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 10/17/2006 1:15 PM  

  • Lutzer is my homeboy...I need his coffemug too. Can you get me a signed one Jodie?

    P.S-Just kidding. I'll get one in heaven when I meet him there...but I don't know if he will measure up after I see the face of God and his glory.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 10/17/2006 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here