Let's be reasonable with one another, shall we?

Friday, February 17, 2006

New Group Blog

I have accepted an invitation to join a group blog. The other members are Matthew, HK Flynn, Antonio, and Nate.

A note to my Calvinist friends: for me, the phrase "Old-School Non-Calvinism" is very tongue-in-cheek. It makes me smile because of all the labels that people I know try to slap on me. This week I have been called a Gnostic (on-line), and a friend came into my office at church ... while we were talking, he told me I was Arminian. Another good friend likes to tell me my thoughts are Semi-Pelagian. They are wrong because I don't hold to the distinctives of those teachings. I really hate labels, so when someone comes up with a non-traditional label, like "Old-School Non-Calvinism," it makes me laugh and I enjoy that.

I am looking forward to getting to know the commenters/friends that the other members will bring with them and the new people that will come around and get to know us all. I hope to learn something from my experiences there, as I have learned a lot from doing this blog here. I have really enjoyed "Rose's Reasonings". That has a lot to do with you all that read and participate here. I enjoy you all.

I will continue this blog. One thing about being a member of a group blog, I do not have to be the sole provider of reading material. It is really a small commitment.

I have had the priveledge of designing the graphics for the new blog, and that was a lot of fun for me.

Blogging really has taught me a lot. I have learned some about theology, human beings, and on-line graphics. Web graphics are a lot different than, say, opening up an Adobe illustrator or a Photoshop file and moving things around, adjusting type to get the desired look. No, with on-line graphics, one must deal with html code! In other words, you go into a big mess of type and try to figure out what it means and how you can change the look of what is on the page by changing a word or a percentage etc ... It is very hard for me to learn! (I am sure many, many of you know what I mean.)

For that matter, theology is very hard for me to learn also, at times.

For that matter, human beings are very hard for me to learn, as well! I love the human beings who frequent here and I enjoin you all to read the new blog. I think the combination of people could be a good balance, temperament-wise. It should be a good place to learn and discuss things about the Bible. That is why I have decided to accept the invite and do it. That is my agenda - to learn more about living this life as a Christian, theology, and God's people.

Why not take a look? Love to all of you!
Unashamed of Grace


the END

23 Comments:

  • Rose~

    It sounds like you have lined up with an interesting group of folk. May God blss you and your readers. It is a nice blog, and I love the graphics.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 2/18/2006 12:05 AM  

  • I am so glad you are on the team, Rose~.

    The guy who called you Arminian, did you give him the address of Unashamed of Grace?

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 2/18/2006 8:28 AM  

  • Actually this looks like a very very good. Rose you did a good job with the graphics. Must be a professional?

    I liked the old school non-calvinism statement. It was actually funny to me as well. Sorry to be joking so much about that, but I remember it well. I do not like it when people call other people names like semi-pelagian/ arminian/ etc as it doesn't seem to help us learn the bible huh?

    Though people call me a 4 point calvinist with a semi-covenant theology bent(though I'm not sure what I am on the covenant/new covenant), I guess I don't always know what I am except someone who wants to be rather biblical.

    I'm planning on picking up Wayne Grudem's Systematic theology soon. Anyone else use it?

    By Blogger Shawn, at 2/18/2006 8:34 AM  

  • I will visit.

    I hate debates but love to learn and feel we can learn a lot from others...even some non Christian in nature.

    By Blogger bluhaze, at 2/18/2006 8:43 AM  

  • I have a copy of Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology.

    It is useful, though rather lacking in depth.

    He does nto distinguish Dispensational Calvinism as a system distinct from Arminianism.

    It supports the Charismatic movement (he is a former Vineyard pastor) and uses the NIV predominantly.

    The section on the role of women in the church was very usful to me when I read it at the age of 18.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 2/18/2006 11:47 AM  

  • Hi Shawn,
    I have the book also and have used it much. I would also concur with what Matthew has said.
    I would recommend Millard J. Erickson "Christian Theolgy" as an alternative, although he uses the RSV ;-) and is rather wordy.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 2/18/2006 11:57 AM  

  • For a more Dispensational view than Millard Erickson, go for Henry C Thiessen 'Lectures in Systematic Theology'.

    Charles Ryrie's 'Basic Theology' is okay, but he spends too mcuh time talking about eschatology, particularly the Rapture Question.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 2/18/2006 12:49 PM  

  • Hi John,
    It is definately a diversly interesting group. I hope you will participate with comments.

    Matthew,
    Thanks for being glad. The guy knows about my blog and I don't think he ever reads it.

    Shawn,
    Professional? I am learning. I am a trained graphic designer, but web graphics is another animal altogether. I like this label: "Bible Believing, Born-again Christian"

    Hi Ambiance,
    We can learn. All christians need to brush up on kindness, myself included. We are all still growing, hopefully.

    John and Matthew,
    You guys are bibliophiles. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at 2/18/2006 6:07 PM  

  • Rose,
    Wow, do I ever agree with Shawn on the labeling. Labeling is very decieving and, I believe, is used as a way to artificially simplify another person's view, in the user's mind only, and just leads to collapse in communication. Well, you guys are workhorses, I can barely keep up. So thanks for all of the educational, as well as the rest of the fellowship in your blogging so far!

    Todd

    By Blogger Todd Saunders, at 2/18/2006 8:05 PM  

  • Nice blog! Rose, what are theological cuss words?

    By Blogger Carey, at 2/18/2006 8:36 PM  

  • Rose,

    I know you are a great graphic artist. Sweet stuff. I'm kinda surprised I used the word professional it sounds so silly.

    John,

    That's interesting, because I have Millard Erickson's "Christian Theology" and I think it focuses too much on Karl Barth. I do like some sections of it alot, but think some of it is missing stuff.

    My pastor is really for grudem systematic for most people in the church. He actually is trying to get at least everyone in the church 16 or old to have at least Bible Doctrine (a shortened version of the Systematic).

    I think with our Foundations class or "Forward the Foundation" class as I call it (for all you Isaac Asimov fans ---NOT Christian) I'm surprised how many people got so much out of the study of theology through this book. I think it may be a good resource for some.

    I think it is because he is SO readable and most people who are over 18 and christians can read it.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 2/18/2006 10:01 PM  

  • Yes, Grudem is very readable.

    Thiessen is miles better for theology, however.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 2/19/2006 12:04 PM  

  • Then again, maybe I should not compare the two books.

    Grudem is perhaps more relevant to the theology of the average contemporary Evangelical. It is very practical in its emphasis.

    I think the lack of attention to a distinctive Dispenational 'Arminianism' and the Pro-Charismatic stance are significant flaws in the book.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 2/19/2006 12:07 PM  

  • Rose,
    That Group Blog is loaded with talent, knowledge and wisdom. Alot of power in one place!

    Oh,Did I say that I love the graphics?! Looks like they were done by a professional! :-)

    ecw

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 2/19/2006 2:28 PM  

  • Hi Rose,

    Your graphic design work on your new blog is awesome, but when do you get to post?

    By Blogger Cleopas, at 2/19/2006 3:12 PM  

  • Can I just call you "non-conformist"?

    By Blogger Jeff H, at 2/19/2006 4:11 PM  

  • If I didn't know better, I would have gotten the impression that you don't learn easily.

    I look forward to reading the team effort.

    By Blogger Joe, at 2/19/2006 5:24 PM  

  • Todd,
    We agree. It has been really busy doing the graphics, but now I slow down and write a few things here and there.

    Carey,
    "Theological cuss word" is a phrase that Antonio has used when people accuse him of being "Antinomian". I think it is funny. That rule is kind of another one of my "tongue-in-cheek" additions to the template.

    John, Shawn and Matthew:
    Bibliophiles!

    Bluecollar,
    You are a good guy. Thanks for finding it in your heart to see the good in something that you may not totallly agree with. God bless you for that!

    Hi Loren,
    How nice of you to drop by. I have something to post tomorrow. I don't know if I will post but once a week. This is my main blog. Thanks for your compliment about the design.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 2/19/2006 6:08 PM  

  • Jeff H.,
    Do I know you? How did you get me pegged so easily? That is cool. I have always been "non-conformist" unless what I need to conform to sets right with me. If I would embrace Calvinism, I would REALLY embrace it. Thanks for coming over!

    Joe,
    What are you trying to say? Do you think I am lying? ;~)
    I learn some things quickly, but sometimes, I find out I didn't know what I thought I had learned.
    Get it?

    Besides, html, CSS, blah blah blah is a bear!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 2/19/2006 6:11 PM  

  • I started studying html coding once.

    Two weeks later I got my eyes uncrossed.

    It was like so many rags in a laundry basket.

    Gave it up for lint.

    By Blogger Joe, at 2/20/2006 7:14 AM  

  • LOL, Joe! Great description!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 2/20/2006 11:38 AM  

  • Rose can't wait to check out the blog. You guys are all very wonderful people and I am sure it will help lots of christians in their walk out!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/21/2006 3:34 PM  

  • Dorothy,
    Thanks for the encouragement. You are a nice Christian blogger! I appreciate what you're doing.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 2/21/2006 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here